To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Tarkers
User

#1 New Member

Post by Tarkers »

Hi All. New member here.

I've had an interest in audio and hifi since my father bought a not terribly good 'music centre' back in the early 70s. The acquisition of some hifi magazines from the 1971ish era sparked a desire to explore the hobby further.

I've never had much money to be able to devote to the hobby (photography seems to consume most of the leisure gear budget) but manage to make do with used components, DIY cabling and now a spot of DIY speaker building. I use computer-based audio as my main source, served from an old IBM laptop running JRiver MediaCenter.

Musical tastes are very eclectic, running from pre-baroque to contemporary classical, classic rock, crossover, singer-songwriter and some electronica. Opera and jazz does not feature.

Current setup includes Icon Audio EL34 based valve amp, Laptop, Audioquest Dragonfly Red with Audioquest Jitterbug, DIY speaker and mains cables, silver litz type interconnects and a pair of 'Doc Modded' standmounters.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: New Member

Post by Cressy Snr »

Icon Stereo 40i ?

I started my valve amp journey with one of those. Sold it about 12 years ago, with some NOS Mullard ECC83 and 12AT7s thrown in. It was a nice amp.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Tarkers
User

#3 Re: New Member

Post by Tarkers »

Indeed, the very same. Mine had Mullards in the preamp stage. I now have Psvanes there and Winged Cs in the power section. Very well balanced overall and works well in triode mode even with my relatively inefficient doc modded speakers.
Irene Idler
User

#4 Re: New Member

Post by Irene Idler »

Welcome to the forum!
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman