Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
stevie7v
User

#1 Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by stevie7v »

My name is Steve Margolis and I am a speaker designer.

Phew! I feel much better now I've got that out.

Unfortunately, I've still got the habit and am, in fact, in the process on producing a new batch of speakers, including one that is actually a complete hi-fi system.

I've only been aware of the audio-talk.co.uk forum for a little while and enjoy it so I've decided to join.

My speaker company was called 'Seventh Veil' (hence my name here) and it was a complete, commercial failure. When I started I honestly believed that the hi-fi industry was about the search for truth and beauty. I soon learnt that it was more about the search for money. Still, I'm still quite proud of the products I produced and would like to show them below - as this is an introduction.

This was my first professional design - the Seventh Veil System IV - and was far too purist to survive. It incorporated 4 x 2" special Bandor full-range drivers, no crossovers or filters whatsoever, a transmission line built into the stand, and a non-resonant enclosure incorporating an egg-shaped interior volume.

I loved many aspects of the System IV sound but recognised its flaws so the next product was designed to overcome some of these flaws - and it did. This links to a brief intro:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/newsflas ... -2003.html

Unfortunately, other than being, let's say, "not the most beautiful", it proved to be impossibly expensive to produce. However, it retained many of the features of its predecessor, including 4 x special Bandor full-range drivers/channel, no crossovers or filters whatsoever and a non-resonant enclosure incorporating an egg-shaped interior volume. This one was a sealed box design and there was a matching sub bass speaker. These are all features that I incorporate into all of my designs, including my new stuff.

Incidentally, let me make it clear that I am no longer in the business of selling loudspeakers. In fact it's been some years since my last design.

So those are my speakers and now I'm designing a new system, including Preamplifier, power amplifiers and Goldring Lenco based turntable. It's an unusual (unique, in fact) system and I'm happy to provide any details you may want to see. I'm sure this is a great place for getting all the help I may need and I look forward to being a member of your community.

Regards
Steve
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#2 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by Paul Barker »

Like the concepts.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by pre65 »

We look forward to hearing about your new designs, and a photo or two.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
stevie7v
User

#4 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by stevie7v »

Or pre65, as Leonard Cohen wrote, "There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."
cressy
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by cressy »

Hi Steve, nice to see you here
Cheers ant
stevie7v
User

#6 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by stevie7v »

Nice to see you too! Hope all's well.
Jazzman53
User

#7 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by Jazzman53 »

Hi and welcome Steve,
Designing speakers is a psychosis but it's always nice to meet others similarly afflicted.
Charlie
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by IslandPink »

Yes, good to see another speaker design here. Do you have any plans for something radical ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
stevie7v
User

#9 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by stevie7v »

Yes, my designs are certainly radical in a number of ways.

For example, right from the off I cannot understand why so many speakers are designed as 2-ways with a crossover frequency slap bang in the middle of the region most sensitive to human hearing. It makes no sense to me.
stevie7v
User

#10 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by stevie7v »

But, having said that, if it sounds good it is good!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by IslandPink »

Yes it's tough to find places for crossovers. My main gripe about typical 2-ways is the crossover around 2 or 3kHz screws the female vocal tone, disengaging the fundamentals from the harmonics - the steeper the slopes, the worse this gets. On the other hand, lower cross affects male vocals...
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by pre65 »

That is why full range speakers are handy. :wink:

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#13 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote:That is why full range speakers are handy. :wink:
Let me know when you find some. All the ones I have seen redefine full :)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

#14 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by Greg »

Really?

As suggested by Nick, I have yet to hear a full ranger that is actually full range. They are always compromised at the top or the bottom, and generally they have really horrible one note bass. The best I have heard is Steve's Metronomes and even these need a tweeter and would require the addition of a sub woofer for some recordings or AV duties.

You are currently revisiting your so called full range Frugal Horns. I would not describe them as full range but would acknowledge they can be entertaining. I can remember when Nick and Toppsy were demonstrating at Scalford. The Frugals sounded fine until the Edingdales were swapped in which immediately demonstrated the Frugals limitations, even showing them to be broken and probably wrong. As said, entertaining but never right.

My speakers are three way crossed over accordingly. Maybe Mark is more aurally sensitive than me but I personally have no grumbles about the things affecting male and female voices he complains about.
Last edited by Greg on Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Hi from a Speaker Designing Fanatic and Lenco Newbie

Post by pre65 »

The smiley I used was a wink. :)

Edmund Burke