Hello from Lenco fanatic and DIY speaker newbie

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
itskeith
User

#1 Hello from Lenco fanatic and DIY speaker newbie

Post by itskeith »

Hello everyone.

Thought the least i can do is say hello before i go off trawling through the DIY speaker build info :D

Lenco Idler turntable fanatic here having recently finished a 'PTP5/ATP-12t' build. Chuffed to bits with it. Frequent poster over on Lencoheaven.net

Any help or advice you need about Lenco's, I'm more then happy to help by pm, or if not i can point you in the right direction.

The last years hi fi 'adventure' has been steadily increasing in cost, now that I've discovered MC's and 300b valves :roll:

Hoping to offset this with a venture into a DIY speaker build. Likely to be vintage full range driver and OB's, but in the very early days of reading up on all this.

Very much interested in attending an 'Owston' meet at some stage.

Cheers.
Keith
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: Hello from Lenco fanatic and DIY speaker newbie

Post by jack »

Welcome !

I went to my first Owston this year with my MASSIVE speakers :)

It was great - very informative and I learnt an awful lot, especially from the "special guest".

Well worth the trip...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#3 Re: Hello from Lenco fanatic and DIY speaker newbie

Post by Paul Barker »

I wont try and put you off mc carts 300b's vintage drivers et al. But its cheaper to get all the cash you can muster and put it on the fire.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
itskeith
User

#4 Re: Hello from Lenco fanatic and DIY speaker newbie

Post by itskeith »

Thanks Jack for the heads up and Paul: that would save a lot of time and effort :D
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Hello from Lenco fanatic and DIY speaker newbie

Post by Cressy Snr »

Paul Barker wrote:I wont try and put you off mc carts 300b's vintage drivers et al. But its cheaper to get all the cash you can muster and put it on the fire.
:lol: :lol: :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
stevie7v
User

#6 Re: Hello from Lenco fanatic and DIY speaker newbie

Post by stevie7v »

Hi Keith

We're both newbies together here. I've just put up my own introduction.

I've recently become a convert to the Lenco Idler Turntable cause and am planning to build a PTP6 based system. I'm a recent member of Lenco Heaven and have already picked up a couple of donor decks (the second of which will be left as a standard GL75 mounted in a new plinth). Out of interest (and ignorance), what's the attraction of the ATP-12t?

I'm pleased to read that you're going with a speaker design using full-range drivers - it's the way to go. Have you considered the latest Jordan full-range drivers? I suppose they are somewhat costly.

I'd be very happy to give any advice that I can and, I hope, to pick up some pointers regarding the GL.

Regards
Steve
itskeith
User

#7 Re: Hello from Lenco fanatic and DIY speaker newbie

Post by itskeith »

Hi Steve,
Apologies, only just seen the reply.

Thanks for the 'Jordan tip'. Probably going to go the Troels route now though :-)

Attraction of ATP-12t:
- great build quality (was often used in radio stations)
- great finish (handling one is a joy)
- elegant!
- medium heavy mass so, good range of cartridges match.
- interchangable headshell (been experimenting with cartridges a lot)
- lots AT headshells available in different weights. Lots other high quality makes fit also (Yamamoto / UWE etc).
- can be occasionally picked up for a good price :-)
- for more info on them, do a search on LH.

Note: all (I think) the AT headshells have threads drilled for cartridge screws to be easily fitted into, only some have overhang adjustment though.

Happy to give any advise ref GL75 / PTP. Easier by phone. Easiest drop me a PM on LH as I hang around there more often!
Good luck with the PTP.
Rudolph Hucker.
Old Hand

#8 Re: Hello from Lenco fanatic and DIY speaker newbie

Post by Rudolph Hucker. »

alright lads.
great forum this is..enjoy the freedom of speech baby
the craziest audio forum on the planet
http://www.snakeoilaudio.com/