new here

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
nic
User

#1 new here

Post by nic »

Found this place while looking up PT15 valves . Looks like I may know some of the members here already from other forums or whatever :) I'm mainly an amp and linestage builder , have also built a few pairs of box speakers and a few ESL panels . I try to avoid conventional valves , it's getting the weird oddballs to work and sound good that I enjoy most . Got a nice pile to work through . Currently I'm playing with some odd old tx valves in class A2 and getting fairly good results .

Happy St Georges Day !

cheers

Nic
Attachments
a2
a2
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

sounds like there'll be some here you'll have experiences to share with . welcome !
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi Nic-i've just dismantled my PT15 monoblocks to start the next project.

Still got 6 PT15 valves though (4 NOS and 2 used !!!!!)

Welcome to the "nuthouse" :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Cool. I had a moment of sanity and thought to stop playing with silly valves, then I came to my senses and realised I had never tried anything by Eimac, looks like you are just the person to talk to :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
nic
User

Post by nic »

The valves are Heintz and Kaufman HK54 , similar sort of thing to the Eimacs with self-gettered tantalum anodes and a healthy 25 watt filament . Drivers are HK24 , these are only running with a small amount of anode cherrying at 8mA . Once pairs of filament chokes and heat disspating caps are located , these valves are fairly straightforward to use . I'm having fun anyway :)

cheers

Nic
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I'm having fun anyway
Thats the most important thing :-)

Actually, I am a bit unsure where to go next with the valve amp side. I am happy with the A2 211, and I can see a big learning curve in front with the ideas for DACs. But I think a 572b A2 set might be fun. But then I do have the 3kv transformers from the last 211 and a big supply of 866 rectifiers...
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Nick,

Have you tied A2? I've only done it the once but I did like it very much.

I have many more to play with yet, if only I could find the time :cry:
nic
User

Post by nic »

A2 to me sounds very clear but also a bit bright no matter which output valve is used . The sound is very different to lower Ra valves in A1 , before I was using Eimac 4-65A , the speaker crossover needed to be tweaked with HK54 ! Bass is the main problem , I'm currently running the 16 ohm secondary in the cathode circuit of the output stage to add a little feedback . HK54 has Ra around 12k , the output transformer is 5k so damping a bass reflex loaded cone driver is a real issue . Next plan is to try zero bias with an 834 , I should really get a pair of the James HSF outputs with the feedback tap which would make life a lot easier

cheers

Nic
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Have you tied A2? I've only done it the once but I did like it very much.
The current 211 runs partly in A2, its biased at -45v so goes about +40v into A2.

Isn't your 833 running in A2?

I think it all depends on how well the driver can deal with the current, and how the transistion from A1 to A2 is handled. But I am still learning.

I thought the 572b would be simple enough, just use a choke loaded CF to drive it, and the DCR of the choke to set the bias point.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Nick wrote:

Isn't your 833 running in A2?
So I'm told, I've never even looked at the curves but I suspect they are right.

Like I have said I do like the sound, quite different and I would find it hard to go back to the PX4 now which sounds quite mushy in comparison.

I wouldn't call it a bright sound, rather "balanced"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I wouldn't call it a bright sound, rather "balanced"
"Dynamic" would be my choice, but we could all be describing different sounds.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Dynamic sounds good to me,

Authoritarian .... is that a word :shock:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Darren wrote:Dynamic sounds good to me,

Authoritarian .... is that a word :shock:
It is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authoritarian_personality

But maybe authoritative is a better match in thi scase :-)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ha! The Frankfurt School, Adorno et al. I did a special study about this many years ago. Basically Thoedor Adorno and his co-workers were studying how it was possible to be a total bastard Nazi in the day time job and go home to tea and be a normal dad.

How could anyone be 'normal' who ordered and or carried out the industrial slaughter than happened in the holocaust?

The findings, to cut a long and very interesting story interweaving Fruedian psycholanalytic theory with Marxism, short, was that Nazis were total bastards to their family when they got home too.

The Authoritarian Pesonality was a nasty type with no saving graces. They demanded order, they wielded power a whatever level in teh rigid hierarchy in which they lived and they got it. The offspring of such types were not happy well adjusted free thinking children.

and so on................

Authority now has a bad side to what it means and how it is used to wishy washy liberals such as myself but authority when applied to a tasty powerful amplifier ....... Yeah, I know what you mean.

71aSE - no.

300b, ever?

transmitter valves - yeah! should be.

I've got a couple of eimac valves in the shed. Heaters are 10 volts at 10amps. They light up a treat but I've never pushed the HT through them.

maybe later.

Oh and Nic, welcome!
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

andrew Ivimey wrote:
I've got a couple of eimac valves in the shed. Heaters are 10 volts at 10amps. They light up a treat but I've never pushed the HT through them.

Oh go on, you know you want to !!!