Hello from the USA

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Jazzman53
User

#1 Hello from the USA

Post by Jazzman53 »

Hi All,
I'm an old guy from Savannah, Georgia in the USA. I love jazz and asian women and audio gear and I'm afflicted with the speaker building psychosis.
I see a ton of interesting DIY projects posted here and it looks like a great place to hang out and hopefully contribute. Glad to be here!
Charlie (a.k.a. Jazzman)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I like your style !
Welcome Charlie .
What sort of Jazz do you listen to ? - I've got quite a bit in my collection, but mainly well-known stuff like Miles, Ornette, Coltrane, Brubeck , Stan Tracey .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Jazzman53
User

Post by Jazzman53 »

IslandPink wrote:I like your style !
Welcome Charlie .
What sort of Jazz do you listen to ? - I've got quite a bit in my collection, but mainly well-known stuff like Miles, Ornette, Coltrane, Brubeck , Stan Tracey .
Thanks for that warm welcome (don't know your name),
For many years I've loved 50's/60's hard bop on the Blue Note label... Joe Henderson, Grant Green, Sonny Clark, Cannonball Adderly, McCoy Tyner come to name a few. And In recent years I've developed a fetish for jazz divas like Diana Krall (earlier stuff), Eliane Elias, Connie Evingson, Karen Souza, Jaimee Paul, and Inga Swearingen. Above all I admire Patricia Barber... her album Cafe Blue is a masterpiece.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Hmmmm, a Jazz fan from Savannah. Welcome!

Have you met hard-hearted Hannah? :D
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Jazzman53
User

Post by Jazzman53 »

shane wrote:Hmmmm, a Jazz fan from Savannah. Welcome!

Have you met hard-hearted Hannah? :D
Thank you Shane,
I assume you are referring to the wonderful jazz lounge in Savannah called Hard Hearted Hannah's. I've been there many times but unfortunately it closed a couple of years ago. The house pianist there was Emma Kelly, who appeared in the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. We also have a week-long jazz festival here every year during the last week in September. Savannah is a great jazz town.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

No. I'm not that familiar with the drinking joints in down-town Savannah!

I was referring to a song from my childhood which was presumably the inspiration for the bar's name. There were lots of versions but this is the one I knew:

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Greetings!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Welcome to Audio-Talk. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Jazzman53
User

Post by Jazzman53 »

SteveTheShadow wrote:Welcome to Audio-Talk. :)
Hi Steve,
After reading the quote in your signature, I'm thinking you might be a fellow Bob Carver fan?
Charlie
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes, I like his philosophies.

My own push-pull valve amp designs are based on the philosophies of Bob Carver (high voltage/low current operation of tube output stages in class AB), Harvey Rosenberg, and a bit of Otto Schade, from the late 1930s, thrown in for good measure.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Jazzman53
User

Post by Jazzman53 »

SteveTheShadow wrote:Yes, I like his philosophies.

My own push-pull valve amp designs are based on the philosophies of Bob Carver (high voltage/low current operation of tube output stages in class AB), Harvey Rosenberg, and a bit of Otto Schade, from the late 1930s, thrown in for good measure.

I first met the Bobfather at the 2013 Axpona audio show in Jacksonville, FL. After learning that I build electrostatic speakers, he invited me to dinner after the show. He agreed when I characterized designing speakers as a psychosis and we spent the rest of the evening discussing speaker designs.

He also confided to me that when he as designing his new tube amps, he would sleep with one turned on at the foot of his bed so that if he awakened in the night he would delight in seeing their glowing tubes lighting up the room. And it delights me to know that after all these years and all his accomplishments this now-elderly man still retains a childlike fascination with audio gear.