Rowuk says Hi

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
rowuk
Old Hand

#1 Rowuk says Hi

Post by rowuk »

Greetings from Germany,

I am in my late 50s, have been building audio since my teens and am now embarked on refining my playback for "the rest of my life".

I no longer have much interest in trying out everything - perhaps because I already have tried out quite a bit. I work slowly, listen to what I have accomplished and only play with things that I have defined as "necessary".

Currently I am using a self built turntable with a linear tracking tonearm and an Ortofon MC30 pickup, a MacMini as a media center, BitPerfect/iTunes, a Focusrite Saffire legacy ADC/DAC, two mono RH307a Super amp (Alex Kitic) and 4 way high efficiency speakers (about 98db) with horns. The next project is a new (valve) phono corrector and buffer. Then I will add additional amplifier channels for my speakers.

I play trumpet professionally in various venues and have an opportunity to record the performances in whatever quality that I desire.

I subscribe to the "less is usually better" except when it comes to speakers. If we look at the power distribution at a live concert, it becomes clear that 5, 6, 8 and 10" woofers will be challenged when it comes to "Power and Glory". I have 2 12" woofers for below 70-80Hz and two from 80 to around 1K. This gives me extension and detail as well as a more or less effortless melody range with no crossover where most of the action is happening. My listening room is a bit too small, but that will not change anytime soon, so the system is designed to properly load about 22 square meters floor space with a 2 meter 50 ceiling.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.