Hello

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

definitely rozenblit before jones....

other shallow end entries would be anything on the web by:
Claus Byrith...especially 'power amps with valves-an approach'
Jim LeSurf at St Andrews uni.....very recommended
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Justin
User

Post by Justin »

Yes, did another google search recently and found Jim Lesurfs' papers. So, I'm on that one. Thanks.

Ok, will get a copy of Bruce Rozenblit. Sounds promising.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Justin wrote:I already have Morgan Jones' book, but it is the third edition. Has the fourth edition been expanded to make understanding more accessible, and is it worth the outlay? ...
MJ is quite heavy-ish in parts, and for a complete beginner, can be daunting.

I strongly recommend the *free* NEETS mod 6 course mentioned above - its bite-sized and well explained - its also complete and contains self-tests so that you can measure your understanding.

The 4th ed. of MJ is much expanded, but probably not worth it at the moment - I sold my 3rd ed. at AudioJumble - got 5 quid for it!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Justin
User

Post by Justin »

Yes, I enthusiastically bought MJ's book when first starting out, and I felt that it was written for someone at the intermediate/ advanced level who simply wanted a discussion on ideas, not for a complete novice.

Thank you to everyone so far.

Justin.
thomas
Old Hand

Post by thomas »

nickds1 wrote:
Justin wrote:I already have Morgan Jones' book, but it is the third edition. Has the fourth edition been expanded to make understanding more accessible, and is it worth the outlay? ...
MJ is quite heavy-ish in parts, and for a complete beginner, can be daunting.
I strongly recommend the *free* NEETS mod 6 course mentioned above - its bite-sized and well explained - its also complete and contains self-tests so that you can measure your understanding.

Hi there!
Another vote for those NEET series of documents- as Nick says, not for the sharpest knives in the drawer- so just right for me! Cut my teeth on them, I did....There is a good one explaining power supplies/ choke/inductor/capacitors too....
Morgan Jones is pretty frustrating, on the whole... the Valve Wizard books are v. good, though.
Cheers
T