Hello

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Justin wrote:Only the pedal power variety. I know that the vintage motorcycles are a thing of interest here too.
Old and modern motorcycles. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Justin wrote:Dave, you ARE a character. 😄
Oh please don't inflate his ego further! The rest of us here are pretty sane.

Welcome Justin. We met at the WigWam show a couple of years ago. Glad to see you are still using your WAD 300B. I have recently serviced mine and I'm getting a whole new increase in performance. Incidentally, just a tip, the Electro Harmonix gold 6072/12AY7 is a cracker. I bought mine from Hotrox. I whole heartedly recommend it.

Are you still happy with your amp driving those panel speakers?

It would be great to see you at our next meet up. See here.......
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5294

If you want more information just ask. We can point you to local hotel accommodation etc. It's a great weekend. I treat it as part of my annual holiday schedule.

Greg
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Justin
User

Post by Justin »

Hi Greg,

Yes, I remember meeting you very well. We were both talking to Nick G.
Yes, I love my WD kit (even the Ming da), and still believe they drive my Quads well. I have been attending the wigwam shows for a few years now, and bumped into Nick this time too. In fact we started chatting, and today we simply followed on this chat from Sunday via email. I would love to start going to these meetings, so I will check it out. I am visiting Dom & Nat on the 16th to have my Audiomods arm fitted, and a catch up. 😊

I have just received my GE jan 5751, so sm looking forward to fitting them to my phono 3sxl. What did you mean about those valves you mentioned? Could they be fitted to my existing equipment? Or am I misunderstanding you?
Last edited by Justin on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Justin,

No issue on the valve front. I'm just coming from my own perspective where for several years I've incorrectly been running the wrong valve on the 300B PP in the driver stage. Having now corrected that, my amp has taken on a whole new lease of life.

So, my suggestion is related to the driver valve on the 300B amp which is catalogued as 6072. This is also classified as 12AY7. NOS or good testing second hand valves of this value are hard to find in the Uk albeit readily available at a considerable price from the USA.

Looking to build my stockpile of back up spare valves, I've tried a one off purchase of new production EH gold 6072/12AY7 from Hotrox. IMHO, this is an excellent sounding valve and well worth buying for current use and prosperity.

The input valve, 5687 is increasingly becoming difficult to source, so if you, like me remain committed to the original WAD 300B PP, my advise is to source these now before they become extremely difficult to find.

Greg
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

The input valve is the 6072 Greg, the 5867 is the phase splitter driver. I built up a small spares stock a while back, didn't realize both ypes are getting difficult to find....the EH 6072 is good though.
Justin
User

Post by Justin »

Ok Greg, thanks for your input. I was didn't realise this was the case, and had not considered building up a reserve collection. I already use Eh GG for my 300b, so know how good they are.

Justin.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

You can't be sure how long eh will be around either.

One day will all be saying darn I wish I had stocked up on xyz's while they were around.

Not long ago I said to a dealer "What do you think will happen to our valves?"

I was referring to values.

His reply was authoritative and emphatic. "we shall run out" :!:

Don't put off until tomorrow what you can afford today when future shortage is a certainty.

I have never stopped regretting selling ECC83's to a friend stateside for £1 each, he cleaned me out long before ebay came to UK. He scammed. Me.

I was scammed by another so called friend who took my money for we 211's x 2 never sent them.

After vintagetubestalk wound up lost contact with both guys.

But found Steve Bench friendship and Jono on vintagetubestalk so overall a positive experience.

Have gained wisdom from the scammers. So something gained.

But for goodness sake don't. Be found wishing tomorrow you bought valves today. They will all go obsolete.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Justin
User

Post by Justin »

Message understood. Thanks Paul.

Don't you fancy Nigella just a little bit? 😉😜
Justin
User

Post by Justin »

Ah, I've just corrected my post. They are GE Jan 5751 to go in my phono.
Justin
User

Post by Justin »

Ok. It's time to come clean.
I wish I knew a lot more about valve amplifiers, how they work, would be a good place to start. I joined the WD forum a few years ago as a complete novice. I joined the forum even before I got my first valve amp, which was an Eastern Electric minimax phono. Father in law now has that.

Anyway, I joined WD as a way of learning. Sadly this has been incredibly slow. Much to my frustration!

Well, even since I joined yesterday, I have realised just how inspiring and motivating this forum is-not to take anything away from WD, BUT, I have reached a point where I am fed up trying to learn from reading threads-because there are still a lot of basics that I'm still not getting. The positive energy that I'm getting here has taught me just to come clean, admit my lack of understanding, but most of all, to just get on with it!

I know that the only real way for me to learn is to get actively involved by way of a two-way (or three, four, etc) discussion. If ANYONE can post links/circuit diagrams, to anything that they think might help, I'd appreciate that greatly.

I built my phono3sxl kit just over a year ago, but it was very much a colour by numbers type of exercise. So, please feel free.

From what I can gather, there seem to be parallels between components in a valve amplifier circuit. E.g. transformers boost voltage, and valves amplify signal. a Choke smooths a signal, but so do the coupling caps.

Why are there different stages (valves) in a circuit? why can't there be one valve/transformer in an amplifier?

I don't know what a phase splitter does.

Maybe this is an ideal time to start a new thread...

Thank you.
Last edited by Justin on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin
User

Post by Justin »

I know there are loads of videos on youtube, and I genuinely don't mean to be lazy, BUT I always seem to have questions which can't be answered as it's a clip and not a discussion!

Justin.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi Justin

a lot of us were in the position you describe some years back....for my own part I would recommend reading a few primers..can I suggest:

Bruce Rozenblit - beginners guide to audio design

for valve basics

or

Tom Duncan - success in electronics

for general electronics via SS

in my experience these are both books you can re-read until you understand the principles.

Both will give you enough understanding to ask meaningful questions on a forum. It seems to me that the ab-initio feel of forums that was prevalent 10 years ago has declined somewhat and the very basic questions don't get asked very often, let alone answered. I guess that's progress.........or maybe..everybody that was interested in starting in valves/electronics has now been and gone, and there are fewer newcomers.........
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Justin
User

Post by Justin »

Thank you, Ed. Will get started.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

The valve trainer I normally recommend is the US Navy's Navy Electricity and Electronics Training Series ("NEETS") guide, module 6 ("Introduction to Electronic Emission, Tubes, and Power Supplies"):

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/neets/mod06.pdf

Bearing in mind it is a course designed for not necessarily the sharpest knives in the drawer, its pretty good - very accessible.

The other classic read is Morgan Jones's "Valve Amplifiers" - the 4th Ed. recently out is greatly expanded:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Valve-Amplifier ... 0080966403

The companion book, "Building Valve Amplifiers" - 2nd Ed - has also been recently revised:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Valve- ... 0080966381

HTH
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Justin
User

Post by Justin »

Hi Nick,

I already have Morgan Jones' book, but it is the third edition. Has the fourth edition been expanded to make understanding more accessible, and is it worth the outlay? I felt that the third edition pretty much jumped into the deep end with mathematical symbols on the second page, and that put me off. At this stage I'd just like something to walk me through the general principles. I haven't studied maths since leaving school over 20 yrs ago. I did a bit of algebra, but not much. I did intermediate gcse, so did trigonometry too, but it's been such a long time!