Hi all New TL fan here

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
martin213
User

Post by martin213 »

Hi Si,and welcome :D

Hi All *waves*

Si,i just wondered whether it would be easier for you to wheel your Naim amplifier and CD player round to my place one day? Not only would that be easier than moving transmission lines,but also i can enjoy the fun too :lol: .

Check out this thread:

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=431

This is the next Fest i hope to attend,pending a lift as i still can't drive yet.
I can assure you it is well worth the effort to attend Si,certainly it will be a big eye opener for you,as you discover full range drivers,open baffle speakers,flea-power amplifiers,Single Ended amplifiers,turntables aplenty,and of course any monster amp NickG decides to tempt us with.

I would certainly take heed of what NickG and PaulB say,you owe it to yourself and your pocket to hear other's creations from this forum before writing them off as unsuitable for your needs.

Anyway,next time you are in the area,pop in,i can loan you a book by Bruce Rozenblit called Audio Reality,i'm sure you will find it a good read.

Kindest Regards

Martin
Si
User

Post by Si »

Martin,sorry about the delay in replying, things were mad at work (no really, things do actually happen in the south rural sector!!!!!!)

I think I will bring the amp etc to yours one quiet day. At the moment I am lift sharing as my little rover died. As soon as I get another on ebay I will arrange to come over or wait until the wife will let me use the MPV which ever comes first.
I have put the next fest in the diary and will do all I can to arrange a day out at the least.

I should have a car sorted soon so will come after work one week end with some of my tester CD's (brace yourself I have weird tastes)
See you soon,
Si
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged.
Not with a silver spoon in your mouth,
But music in your heart and poetry in your soul.
Brian Harris 1967
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Si wrote:Yes your right, Im starting with an IPL Kit for the speakers, I will use this for a while before I start looking at amp kits. I may find they (the IPL's) sound wonderful with the Naim stuff, who knows????? Maybe someone here does! I just cant afford to keep or even start upgrading Naim with further Naim stuff as the shops would suggest!! Its undoubtedly good stuff, Ive had them for 8 years but there must be other more cost effective ways of achieving hifi bliss.
martin has got a point,

going back to my early days i would not even think of say using a 2 watt amp and hi effiency drivers...
but it the same as using a 20+ watt amp with many shop bought speakers

most of us have used solid state amps in the past, and the jump to what can be achieved with low powered valves and even some of the nelson pass mosfet amps, is startling

i would compare the naim to good shop hifi gear

what most of us make.. is gear that closely reproduces music

it is quite simple to make.. once you get an understanding of how it works

steve
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

Steve,

I used to have a full Naim system and it served me well for many years.

A friend of mine has a Nait (which he loves) and a 92/90 (which he is less impressed by) and a CD3

A few weeks back we did a back to back CD3 vs CDX with CDPS ..... Unsurprisingly the one that is higher up the tree did sound better in every area.

Then a mod was carried out to the CD3. It didn't cost a lot to do, but obviously you need to have the know how etc - but all it was changing was the output stage - same DAC, same transport mech, same power supply, same cables ...... but the sound was completely different. In fact it didn't sound like a Naim CDP anymore.

It left us undecided TBH as some things were so improved that it significantly bettered the more expensive player, but some aspects were better on the expensive unmodded Naim. Also, although much of what it did actually sounded more accurate and real - my friend found it comparitively unengaging and a little boring. On some music IMO it was better in all aspects. But with other music, I prefered the more expensive player (mainly the weightier sound).

Still more experiments to come but this is more about my friend learning what aspects do what - but on the journey he is also improving a CDP that cost very little into one that potentially could outperform ones that cost many times more.

Where abouts in Lincolnshire are you? I commute to Grimsby from near Selby so I drive through North Yorkshire, into South Yorkshire, then Lincolnshire then Humberside :lol: .... but if you are not far from the M180 then you are not far from me.

Perhaps if you are interested, next time we have a play, you could fetch your standard CD3.5 then we can compare with the modded (further stuff being worked on currently) CD3 and the CDX with CDPS.

I do believe that we are going to end up with a very affordable CDP outperforming the expensive stuff.
Si
User

Post by Si »

Steve & Samantha, thanks. Its taking me ages to reply I know but my computer is broken at home and I use the one at work (risky)

I didnt go down the full Naim route (thankfully). I did go back to the shop and look at upgrades but they just didnt convince me and of course I could buy a car with the sort of money they were suggesting. (try justifying that to the boss at home)

I thought there must be another way forward, then my dad told me to speak to the boffins in the hifi world - the DIY ers, and to forget the shops or the sponsorers as he calls them!!!!! He has been building guitars and guitar amps for years and has had a lot of success (musical happiness) in keeping close to a few good people in the know - rather like this forum i guess.

As it happens I live south of Lincoln on the A46 near Newark but the M180 is only 1/2 hour away and the inlaws live in York so we get that way often. I would love to hear what you have and discuss how you have gotten there.

I dont want to take on too much at once and confuse myself. I will buy the IPL TL speaker kit soon and start on them (wife and kids willing, Im trying to develop a business too) in the meantime I will keep reading the book I borrowed from Martin (its a good read) and begin thinking about amplifiers as a result. The next fest is definately a date to remember for me as Im sure I will hear and learn much. It would be good to get my IPLs built before then!!!!

PS I dont think your all boffins!
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged.
Not with a silver spoon in your mouth,
But music in your heart and poetry in your soul.
Brian Harris 1967
martin213
User

Post by martin213 »

Hi Si :D

1st of all i wish to apologise to you,for the 'domestic' you had to endure when you last visited :oops:

I strongly suggest you keep your money in your pocket until you have heard all alternatives mate,there is more than 1 way to enjoy music :D

Kindest Regards

Martin
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

Si wrote:
As it happens I live south of Lincoln on the A46 near Newark but the M180 is only 1/2 hour away and the inlaws live in York so we get that way often. I would love to hear what you have and discuss how you have gotten there.
No probs. I will let you know when my mate (Ed) is coming up again for stage 2 of the project and if you are free, we can have a little music sesh.