Hi all New TL fan here

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Si
User

#1 Hi all New TL fan here

Post by Si »

Hi to everyone, just a quickie to introduce myself. I live in Lincs and am looking forward to everyones expertise here. I have loved hi fi since I loved music really.
I currently have a fairly simple set up, very nice but not terribly exciting. I have a Naim Nait3 integrated amp, CD3.5 and am using some B&W CDM7 SE's, Naim cables and quinex interconnects. The speakers were supposed to be a bigger upgrade from my previous Dynaudio Audience 50's???????? not so sure now, bigger sound more powerful for sure but!!!!!
Anyways this is where you all can help. I have heard some IPL TL's partnered with tube/valve amp etc, and am sure this is the way to go. I have a 16x14 room ideal for the 4 or 5 series. It will be my first build so the B&W's go on ebay soon.

Next the Naim stuff can go. Im not in a rush but I would love to buy/build/modify to valve and tube but I am a complete novice!!! Resources needed please (Ill dig out my old physics/electronics text books). Im hoping to learn a lot from you all, I hope your patient!!!!and would welcome anyone wishing to demo their systems to me in or near the area.
Cheers
Si
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

welcome ! another lamb to the slaughter - hope you realise what you're letting yourself into - going over to the dark side !

there's certainly people around here who have a hand in current cutting edge development of Tl design. as for building amps, personnally if you're new to diy audio i'd recommend building a kit to start with rather than making something from scratch. there are some very good sounding kits about.....
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Hi, welcome to the place.

To further Richarsd suggestion, I would first try and listen to some different kit, as building a kit is as much of a leap in the dark, as buying commercial stuff blind.

I am starting to wonder if I should add a "Naim users start here" section to the site :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Si
User

Post by Si »

Yes your right, Im starting with an IPL Kit for the speakers, I will use this for a while before I start looking at amp kits. I may find they (the IPL's) sound wonderful with the Naim stuff, who knows????? Maybe someone here does! I just cant afford to keep or even start upgrading Naim with further Naim stuff as the shops would suggest!! Its undoubtedly good stuff, Ive had them for 8 years but there must be other more cost effective ways of achieving hifi bliss.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

Which IPL Kit are you going for?

Whichever one you choose you won't go far wrong I think.

Cheers,
Tony
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

It's up to you, and it might be too late, but if you haven't ordered the IPL kit check what some of us are doing at the various meetings before you spend any more money. You might prefer a different direction afterwards.

If you buy anything without a proper audition, you will buy again, which will make you feel disgruntled about the whole hifi scene. If you buy anything with a proper audition you will buy again, but you only have yourself to blame which will feel less bitter.

If you stop buying, this just indicates you have found a new hobby.
Si
User

Post by Si »

Yes good points, I have heard some IPL TL's, They were the S3tl's. I was mightily impressed. I was more impressed when I saw that the kit cost less than 300 quid. Now I remember paying about 1100 quid for the CDM7SE's, someone tell me where the comparison lies, I let my ears do the listening and to my ears there was no comparison.

I am intending to buy the kit for the S3tl or the S4tl, but nothing is final or decided yet as the CDM7SE'e need to go on ebay and sell. In the meantime, wife willing I will attend any local-ish meets and listen and learn. As said one thing at a time and I'll do the speaker thing first.

Heres an idea too, (possibly for a different thread) my older Dynaudio's are in the cupboard collecting dust. I once came accross a bloke in Notts (HNE systems) who made granite and slate hifi products including front baffles and entire speakers out of solid slate and granite.Anyone done this route????My dad reckons his stone mason mate could do an equally good job at reproducing the dynaudio box in stone, electronics and drivers would stay the same. Anyones thoughts!
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Hi Si.

I built the M3TLs a few years ago and was totally satisfied with them. I actually kept them longer than any other speaker that i ever had.
I used them in a room of similar dimensions to yours.
However, the space allows for the next size up at least, and thats what i would be looking at.

I may one day return to IPL speakers but at the moment, like many others here i'm happily experimenting with full range drivers.

To echo the comments of other members, I would hold on till you've seen and heard some of the designs built by these guys.

As for the stonemason idea.
Great if it works, but expensive and tricky to sort if it doesn't. Maybe too adventurous.

Just an opinion as always.
Much to learn there is.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Si,

I have listened to a pair of slate cabinet speakers and they were quite mesmerising. Very hard to describe.

It's something on my wish list for the future. I'm not sure about granite, I'm quite capable of making them, but don't think I would bother after my experiences with granite plinths.

Nothing partic wrong with granite, just a different sound and I think the slate ones have the better overall properties that I personally strive for.
Si
User

Post by Si »

Darren, where are you from. I was born and bred in Bangor/Anglesey, my dad still lives there, the Dynaudio project is my idea but he is looking more into it than I am as he knows the monumental mason (plenty of cheap offcuts) who could reproduce the cabinets. I'll tell him what you suggested about slate - or even tell him to join the forum. He is strangely computer technophobic for a man who handbuilds guitars and stuff. He would do well to speak to you.
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged.
Not with a silver spoon in your mouth,
But music in your heart and poetry in your soul.
Brian Harris 1967
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

You managed to escape then?
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Hi Si,

This may remind you of home
http://www.pbase.com/caeclyd/image/74099051

Typical idyllic scenery of where I live with some modern stuff thrown in.

I moved from Y Felininheli to B/Ffestiniog recently.
Last edited by Darren on Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

I know this road !!
http://www.pbase.com/caeclyd/image/73716921

TBH a lot of it looks familiar.

If you're into this sort of stuff have a look here the pic's are stunning. These are taken in what's called the "Mach Loop" where I live and breathe.
http://www.pbase.com/caeclyd/mach_loop&page=1

Sorry to go off topic, but some peoples work deserves a plug sometimes.
Si
User

Post by Si »

Ahhhh I did escape yes, I thought it was an escape back then, now I have a family of my own and cant go back often enough!! Thanks for making me homesick. although Y Felinheli is the wrong side of the Strait you know!
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged.
Not with a silver spoon in your mouth,
But music in your heart and poetry in your soul.
Brian Harris 1967
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Si wrote:Ahhhh I did escape yes, I thought it was an escape back then, now I have a family of my own and cant go back often enough!! Thanks for making me homesick. although Y Felinheli is the wrong side of the Strait you know!

Yes I have often wondered about moving away. But now I wouldn't want to be anywhere else..!!

Re your last sentence, not during the rush hour, it's on the right side !!