retired

#1 forty years on

Post by ed »

genius remembered??

There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

That's nice - forty years on and I still can't play Castles of Sand (anything) like that!

oh and as for Li'le Wing well, ... you've guessed it.

But I'm still trying!

I have found some lovely Utube fillums and was thinking about an iPod device just for them but that's wanton extravagance and conspicuous consumption to boot and my eyesight ain't that good either, so maybe not.
Prince of Darkness
User

Post by Prince of Darkness »

Tuck Andress is an incredible guitarist, I first heard him on a soundpage supplied with Guitar Player magazine.
Very few guitarists can do Castles Made Of Sand or Little Wing justice compared to the original.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I don't (personally) think thats anything like a good version, he makes it sound like a clever and hard piece of playing (yes, I know it is), whereas when Jimi played it, it just sounded like it had fallen out of his fingers. And the singist doesn't seem to be listening at all to what the guitar is doing (or vice versa).

For me, this is more in the spirit.

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

not bad!

But I've just discovered uTube so I've gone all moist eyed about that - all those filmettes - cor!
iansr
Old Hand

Post by iansr »

Nick wrote: And the singist doesn't seem to be listening at all to what the guitar is doing (or vice versa).

ed
I have to agree Nick. It actually reminded me of that bloody £50k Naim system we heard that just made music sound like a lot of unconnected sounds being played at the same time.
"Its good enough for Government work."
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh I suppose I'll get all discerning, but this cat has all the Cream

- dah dit dah dah dah daahhh dee dit dah dee - I went down to Rosedale tried to pick a ride - or something about a white room with bad decor.

I have begun to note though that it is YouTube.

remember how, when you switched the telly off there was that little white dot!
ed
retired

Post by ed »

I think I'm a bit unhappy about the way this is going.....I think I posted in the wrong forum.....

My point was about the genius of 40 years ago and how timeless its become..It wasn't intended as a debate about the best rendition......

although that Stevie Ray clip is very moving

ho hum...
I must put more thought into my postings
I must pu

Ed
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Oh, I realised that was what you had in mind Ed, sorry I sidetracked it, but as I do personally think Hendrix was such a wonderfully natural player, I couldn't help myself. I know myself, I have had a habit of getting excited about technique instead of sheer musical joy, but I think thats a guitarist desease.

I friend of mine who is involved with organising things like the Bath Jazz festival once said the only thing more boring than hearing two guitarist talking at the bar, was two truck drivers :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.