reference systems

Share the music that moves you.......
ed
retired

#1 reference systems

Post by ed »

I have recently discovered that I have a new reference for measuring capability......I guess it all boils down to how well we know a piece of music...but...whenever I put a new component into the system I generally used one of the following to detect changes:

1. Morrison - Astral weeks - for general instrument placing
2. John Etheridge - Chasing shadows - instrument timbre
3. Rachmininov - 2nd piano - complex
4. richard thompson/Froom - any - space

these aren't definitive but ime have consistently shown up deficiencies in the past....

well I have to add the Robert Plant/Alison krauss into the mix now....Of my fully functional 5 systems, 2 of them can't fully play this album at all. There is so much timpani that is mixed close to the voice and bass that the resulting picture is very much in soft focus and down right mushy.

I had originally thought that it was a less than perfect production but now I realise it is stunning, but only reveals itself when the system is up to scratch.

mmmm most disconcerting cos I have banged on in the past about how good I thought these components were...its more embarrassing than disconcerting

Ed

a contentious ps...Somebody, I think it was Steve Cresswell said that he used Barber in a 'complex' test....to showup deficiencies in a 45....I have to disagree..IMO Barber doesn't do complex.....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be