Berlin School

Share the music that moves you.......
swampy
User

#1 Berlin School

Post by swampy »

Anyone here into Berlin school prog synth ? (Sometimes called space music)

aka the likes of redshift, radio massacre international, syndromeda, create, volt, keller, omega syndicate etc....

I love synths (pure synthesis ones.. not romplers). Nothing like the fat bass of a moog.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

I'm quite prepared to listen to anything, so long as it....

a) Contains something resembling a tune.

and

b) Sounds as though some effort has gone into its creation.

What do you recommend, sir?
Much to learn there is.
swampy
User

Post by swampy »

Redshift are classic berlin school.

Just check out that moog modular rack at the back. Pure Analogue with patch leads.

www.redshift.biz/gallery-fs.htm

Some reviews here

www.synthmusicdirect.com/reviewsr.htm

this site has a few snippets but most do not do the music justice since most tracks being long with a slow build up and changing bass lines and textures with leads moving in and out of the mix over the track.

some snippets here.

www.synthmusicdirect.com/soundai.htm

I grew up with groups like tangerine dream and these groups have taken that same style to the next level.
swampy
User

Post by swampy »

Looks like only me into this odd style :) Some more info I found...

Berlin School, was a development of electronic music in the 1970s, shaped by Berlin-based artists like Klaus Schulze and Ash Ra Tempel. The style is characterized by soaring electric guitar or synthesizer melodies in high-register accompanied by complex, shifting analog sequencer bass lines. Sound effects such as wind, and washes of Mellotron choir, flute, or strings were often added for color. Experimental or ambient stretches were not rare either, especially as intros.

Analog sequencers were used by Pete Townshend on The Who's Baba O'Riley in 1971 and by Pink Floyd on 1973's Dark Side of the Moon, but the classic era of Berlin School commenced in 1974.

Most have heard of Krautrock such as Kraftwerk which has had major influences on on synth pop. Krautrock or Düsseldorf School was also a development of electronic music in the 1970s. The term is commonly used in opposition to the simultaneous movement known as Berlin School. Both have had major influences on modern music.