John Etheridge...

Share the music that moves you.......
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 John Etheridge...

Post by jack »

Went to see John Etheridge, Yaron Stavi (bass) & Mark Fletcher (drums) last night.

Stunning. Loved (most of) it. Good mix of old & new.

They had some annoying twat violinist with them - Nigel somebody - been a lot happier if he had stayed at home...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

with Nigel Kennedy
Sept 27 Scarborough Jazz Festival. Quartet
Sept 28 /29 St Mary's Church Frant. Duo
Oct 12 'Fludyers', Felixstowe with Russ Morgan Trio
Surely not this Nigel 8)
Chris :happy3:
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

The Stratmangler wrote:
with Nigel Kennedy
Sept 27 Scarborough Jazz Festival. Quartet
Sept 28 /29 St Mary's Church Frant. Duo
Oct 12 'Fludyers', Felixstowe with Russ Morgan Trio
Surely not this Nigel 8)
That'd be the one. St. Alban's (not St. Mary's) Frant last night - he arrived 30 minutes late - acoustics were very good - though the church is stone, the roof is panelled and with a full audience of about 250 - 300, there was just about enough "soft furnishing" to absorb any harshness.

The sound engineers did a good job too - Kennedy was patently on something - he admits to smoking a lot of pot to "aid his creativity" - but the contrived "cheeky chappie" personality the so grated when he was in his twenties, is still there in an older & fatter body and just as annoying :) He also managed to drop his coffee cup onto Yaron Stavi's feedback amp which stopped the concert while the roadies mopped up and dried it out - Stavi seemed to be getting mild shocks from the double bass... - the engineer, whilst walking off stage, pointed at Kennedy and said "Just never let this man into your house"...

Stavi was superb and Etheridge was, as usual, excellent. Whilst I admire Kennedy's technical skills, I find his manner and rather weak & forced patter just irritating :)

Amusingly, much of the audience were not their target market, being mainly rather superannuated traditionalists from the local farming community - we know many of them through the NFU (my in-laws are local farmers) - I suspect they all came along expecting to hear the Four Seasons etc. and were rather shocked by what happened next :) Many left during the second half...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt