What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Share the music that moves you.......
Nick
Site Admin

#4456 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by Nick »

I think John Fordhom summed it up rather nicely
Contemporary jazz can anything from studiously forensic to loud and funky - but it doesn't usually go for laughs, perhaps for fear it might seem to be sending itself up. Young UK quintet WorldService Project have no problem with that. Pianist/leader Dave Morecroft has described their genre-mashing brashness as "a cage-fight between Weather Report, Stravinsky, Meshuggah, Zappa and Monty Python," and he might have added the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band to that list. This mix, and WSP's ambitious pan-European Match & Fuse collaborations, have brought them plenty of new fans. This set's title track and the boiling De-Frienders are full of farmyard honkings, free-jazz melees, glimpsed bebop, and thrash chords, while Barmy Army mixes march-time and trad-jazz with flatulent free-trombone eruptions, and Change the Fucking Record is stompingly raw and punky - all elements that make WSG a riotously entertaining live band. But it's the utterly contrasting 10-minute finale, Cunha - a slow coalescence of electronic murmurs, long-note horn sounds and dark ensemble accumulations that represents WSP's highly creative straight face.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#4457 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

A million years ago I used to live in a high rise block above The Plough on Stockwell Rd if my poor memory serves me well I was there almost every night. Aw schucks I've played a few nights there but...

This stuff is necessary. God knows ( silly expression) most of this stuff is self indulgent, masturbatory enjoyable only to those who are actually playing it or the few who wont admit the emperor isn't wearing any clothes. BUT

might be necessary for wondrous music to come forth. Is that patronising?

Does anyone out there remember live music? I've written twice complete sets , both of which go down the covid pan, and, I csnr be bothered to do it right for the night, which isn't going to happen.

Still lissnin to Debussy
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Greg
Social outcast

#4458 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by Greg »

Debussy will settle your heart and mind. World Service Project probably won’t. It is interesting though, don’t you think?
andrew Ivimey

#4459 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Feel Greg, feel.

I'm lost in Enigma at present. Weird.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#4460 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

ZZ top, dunno doesn't hit the spot. There are riffs and attitude that's soooooo good but on the whole I dont get it.

Bored with enigma I prefer my own sleep for what dreams may come Early night.

Bugger, a track comes on that puts me back in India, somewhere in the Deccan, a national park full of leeches and no tigers but I'm HEARTBROKEN... SAD NOT SADENESS. I'll let it play out.
andrew Ivimey

#4461 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've been putting off listening to The Joshua Tree for years. Astonishing mix, brilliant.

I must look into their music but surely the Joshua Tree is their best, n'est ce pas?!
Nick
Site Admin

#4462 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by Nick »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:19 pm I've been putting off listening to The Joshua Tree for years. Astonishing mix, brilliant.

I must look into their music but surely the Joshua Tree is their best, n'est ce pas?!
I can't say. I remember the early more raw stuff with fond memories, and the Joshua Tree is hard to dislike, but I wonder how much of that is Eno (don't mean that in a dismissive way for U2). I find it hard not to like most of Eno's work. There is certainly some great tracks on TJT, but I would also listen to Rattle And Hum. Must admit don't know their latter stuff at all others than singles on the radio none of which seemed to be unpleasant.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#4463 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by simon »

Certainly their most famous. Maybe Rattle and Hum was better, maybe it wasn't.

Edit - Nick beat me to it!
andrew Ivimey

#4464 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'll try Rattle and Hum then. I too hugely admire Brian Eno and dudnt know there was a connection to TJT.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#4465 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by The Stratmangler »

I really like the first album U2 recorded with Lanois & Eno - The Unforgettable Fire.
It has a great spirit of adventure.
Chris :happy3:
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#4466 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Weather Report - 8:30 (1979)

gninnam
Old Hand

#4467 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by gninnam »

Brilliant record - great writing, musicianship and production..

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#4468 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

ed
retired

#4469 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by ed »

aw.jpg
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4470 Re: What Are You Listening To Right This Minute?

Post by IslandPink »

First heard it on a radio review of best ever albums, in ~1985 , I was instantly smitten.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"