the pirates

Share the music that moves you.......
david C
Old Hand

#1 the pirates

Post by david C »

here's a video of some very old friends, they go back to Jonny Kidd, him of shaking all over fame, they have been going off and on ever since, sadly Mick Green died not so long ago, a great guitarist a stalwart of Paul McCartney's backing musicians, Jonny Spence on bass here has now carved out a career in Finland as a singer

and another video of Greeny with Macca and a lonely David Gilmore
I don't know how Mick Green wasn't better known, over the years he has played with anybody who was anybody,

David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
ed
retired

Post by ed »

thanks David

loved that second vid, the arrangement was awesome, never thought about Gilmour as a rhythm ist, but he sure made an impact on that..

coincidence for me cos I watched the Joe Meek story on the video recorder last night(again) and there were so many references to the Pirates that it got quite mundane...
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

they were very close to Joe Meek, not something I fully understood but He was a genius, I loved that he used to put the drummer in the Bathroom in the flat

Greeny by the way did a lot of work with Van Morrison, I just feel sad He's dead and was never give the recognition He deserved

PS the first vid was done on a mobile which doesn't help the sound balance
the McCartney one was much better, it's nice to see People like David Gilmore effectively just jamming for fun and using a Telecaster to boot
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

david C wrote: I just feel sad He's dead and was never give the recognition He deserved
Aye, Wilko Johnson is one of the few guitarists I've seen give 'spect and 'props' to Mr Green.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

Wilco has said he was inspired by Green with his style of playing lead and rhythm together,
Pete Townsend is another one who cites the Pirates as an influence,
as does Lemmy, :)
David

david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

recent picture of John in Finland ,no more bass playing but he still does Peter Gunn one of his favourites with Greeny, mind you not bad for70

David