My Faves

Share the music that moves you.......
Mullardman
User

#1 My Faves

Post by Mullardman »

I haven't been on this site for very long, but it seems like I've been in this world for a very long time. Actually, I'm nearly 59... I just feel older.

Anyway, I've been into music since I learned to breathe. I don't claim an encyclopaedic knowledge and most of 70's 80's 'rock' escaped me because I found it all so tedious and pretentious after the wide eyed (literally) innocence of the 60's.

All I want to do here is mention a few artists who I regard as greats. The style and age of their recordings is irrelevant... well.. if you like music that is.. Oh.. and if I'm preaching to the converted.... sorry.

1. Ray Charles.
My favourite musician of all time.. I had the priveledge of seeing him live twice in the UK, once about 1962 and once in 1996. Singer, consummate pianist and no respector of musical boundaries. Legendarily mean, but just so good..

His Atlantic Records period is probably best. If you can listen to 'Sweet Sixteen Bars' and not be affected, you are brain dead. Also 'Mess Around'. Lonely Avenue, 'Losin' Hand' and many, many others. His later country style stuff for ABC is just as good, though more 'commercial'... whatever that means.

2. Paul Desmond. The guy who played the Oh So Cool sax on 'Take Five', by the Dave Brubeck Quartet. I rate Brubeck, but Desmond solo was something else. I think the seminal album is 'Late Lament'. On a first listen, especially if you aren't 'into' jazz, you may think it sounds bland and a bit Mantovani..ish. I certainly did, but after a couple of listens, this album is 'Cool Jazz' personified. It is glorious and just soooooo listenable.

3. Duke Ellington. I have to be honest and say that a lot of the Duke's later stuff left me cold. However, if you can get your hands on his stuff from the late 20's and early 30's, you're in for a treat. I still have an album called The Duke In Harlem, which cost me 23 Shillings around 1962. Astonishing music. Every band member was a virtuoso artist. Despite the crap sound, the music was, and still is exhilarating.

4. Artie Shaw. It is just too easy to lump Shaw in with a load of other 30's/40's 'swing' muso's, and see him as part of a musical phase. But, Artie Shaw was the best clarinet player ever. End of. Check him out.

All of the above was recorded before I was born, but I still love it. I'll come back later and mention a few more recent folks who I like.

Mull
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

Must play some of this when we have the next get together.

I have the film "Ray" on the ol' recorder box thing - I must get around to watching it.

8)
Mullardman
User

Post by Mullardman »

Hi Sam, the film is I think a pretty accurate portrayal of Ray's life and the shit he had to deal with. No wonder he was mean. Who can blame him after the way he was treated?
But.... was he really all that mean? I suspect a few deserving people benefitted from his fortune.

Mull