Mahler 8

Share the music that moves you.......
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Mahler 8

Post by Cressy Snr »

Those who read the speakers forum will have seen my little test piece, the famous Georg Solti Mahler 8 I used to uncover a problem with tweeter phase on my Metronomes.

This might be controversial, as comments I make about classical seem often to ruffle feathers here and there. Though the Solti is a spectacular recording,
sometimes I think there is an element of blasting the listener into submission, especially in part one. The whole thing seems a bit stop, start, wham! to me and never quite gels, It's a difficult listen.
One reviewer likened the Solti reading to "being hit around the head for an hour and twenty minutes", but was roundly castigated for his views, I seem to remember.

I like the 2005 Antoni Wit reading with the Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir. It just seems far better balanced between orchestra choir and organ, and just flows beautifully.

These are the only versions I have so any other recommendations would be welcome.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Here's Simon Rattle at the finale:
Proms 2002. National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain.
The NYOGB do a sterling job I think.
Look at the size of that choir.

Judging by this Albert Hall performance, this particular Mahler is something you'd have to see live to really appreciate the scale, power and emotion behind it.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.