Eric Clapton

Share the music that moves you.......
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Eric Clapton

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I had no idea he has played with so many and so much (shows what a sheltered life I've lead.)

But what does the panel think? (One liners are not helpful)
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Disclaimer >> this is just my point of view, no more, no less and is worth nothing in the general scheme of things.

Cream were great, 461 Ocean Boulevard is one of my favourite albums and he's made a handful of great pop tunes like 'Promises' & 'Lay Down Sally'.

Reforming Cream was a bad idea and residencies at The Royal Albert Hall knocking out extended self-indulgent blues tunes are about as exciting as watching grass grow. And if I hear 'Layla' one more time I shall consider Hari Kari.

Eric Clapton, a decidedly average entertainer. Better than Albert Collins though.

There ya go, 4.5 lines.....
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Reminds me I need to buy 'Wheels of Fire' . I have been playing 'Fresh Cream' and 'Disraeli Gears' a lot in the last couple of weeks - you can't go wrong with those two. Tracks like 'Outside Woman Blues' for instance. His sound is great on those - controlled power, & that fat , but full-toned, fuzz sound is really interesting . Guitar experts will know a lot more about the details of what he was doing . The whole band was great , I really like Jack Bruce's vocals .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Cream were brilliant. How could he go from that to dross like "Tears In Heaven" or "Beautiful Tonight"? Makes you wonder...

I do like his contribution to Kate Bush's "And So Is Love" on "The Red Shoes" though:

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I never was that big fan of Clapton, but over the last few years I have started to appreciate his playing more. I was not a fan of his early stuff, never liked his tone, much preferring Peter Green and Hendrix, and his middle output was IMHO decidedly average, high point was trying to sound like JJ Cale, but then you may as well listen to JJ. But he now seems to have taken on the role as the grand old white blues player, and seems to spend a lot of time making sure a lot of other players get the exposure they deserve, and I think for me his playing is better than it was before, I think he has gone back to what he likes to play, and is best at.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Nick wrote: high point was trying to sound like JJ Cale, but then you may as well listen to JJ.
I'm not sure about it being a high point. He covered several JJC compositions which disappointed me mainly because he got the credit rather than JJC. I absolutely love Cale's originals. I regard Clapton's interpretations as second class.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

So this poor little God is getting dissed eh! I loved the Cream stuff up to Badge. Of course he wasn't a touch on Jimi Hendrix. And then I forgot about Mr Clapton. Wonderful Tonight came along (nice bit of autobiography so 11/10 for that Mr C) Then Layla but for me Duane Allman was the man not EC but whatdidIknow...

I've just finished EC's autobiography. It is not well written but that to me means it is written by EC and not some ghost. Why should he be a Hunter Thompson or a Charles Dickens. There is no insight into any of his relationships; they are baldly stated, one dimensional and he moves on fast, very very selfish and unreflective! - so the book was getting disappointing to boring.

EC's lists of those with whom he has played are astonishing. I got a hint that the Delaney and Bonnie period was very fertile. & e.g. JJCale is so very important to him and he bemoaned the way EC (God) was re-mixed into the limelight instead of JJ getting the deserved credit.

John Mayall has been remarkably silent given that everyone and ther aunt has unpicked their way through the bones of the rock dinosaurs for years. I thought it remarkably shappby even though I could glean why EC left the Yardbirds. Ginger, Eric and Jack hated each other, to the core, from the outset for whatever the EGO reasons. When they got back for the Albert Hall re-union EC thought it was fine. The repeat at Maddison Square Garden was awful.

ECs relationship with the Stones and George Harrison gets scant but repeated mention. It is hard to imagine how good a listener/chum EC was when poor old Mr Collins came round in his hour of need. Maybe EC doesn't do him self credit as there are thousands of people he cites throughout the book who are his bestest friends. I don't want the dirt (though it is high time, Mr Jagger, you stepped up to the mark, pen in hand!) but I would like some more feeling, searching and understanding.

It is only at the 11-55 o'clock stage that EC redeems himself - the epilogue. For years he had been plugging away at his addiction centres - seriously good work. My sister went to his annual small AA gig 'somewhere close to Woking' this year and was blown away and it was this that renewed my 'must look into this EC chap' interest. Only in the epilogue do I hear a man of emotion and wisdom; who has found himself (after all those drugs and booze its a wonder there was anything left to find!). He seems content with himself and his life. I too think, imho, that as a blues guitarist - superb. But I shot the sherriff - arrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh.

If you know something about any person then the music they write or art they produce is always much more interesting, meaningful. That 'middle period' does have gems too, I suppose, even if we, for example, don't appreciate them that much.

Oh and I've just bought 'Unplugged'.
40p - what does that tell us?
Is it any good I wonder?
I will be listening intently.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.