Devil's island Disks

Share the music that moves you.......
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Devil's island Disks

Post by andrew Ivimey »

You know when life is really shite and most of us at any stage of life have had a time that so far seems like shite ...

what three records would you choose? We're not on a desert island here - this is tough - maybe not THE HARDEST and NASTIEST. I haven't been there yet but ....

Sgt Peppers
Are you Experienced
DSOTM
Mahler 3 - why 3? dunno but it seems to be that.

Sod the books ... Ben Jonson speaks so much louder than Shakespeare but I can see the point of the latter. Richard Burton's pilgimage to Mecca, maybe - the bible is okay but ... worth thinking about

- just a thought -
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Solid Air - John Martyn

Space Ritual - Hawkwind

You - Gong.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

If ever I feel really shite, it's not music I need, just something to make me laugh.

That normally does the trick. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Music can make you laugh ... and cry - soothes the savage breast etc
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Music can make you laugh ... and cry - soothes the savage breast etc
I can find music very emotional, or soothing. Indeed many things, but laugh ?

Apart from comedy records (ie Monty Python) what do you recommend ?

Edmund Burke

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Only 3 Andrew ??
That would be so depressing ...
How about a couple of hundred ?
And a palm-thatched hut with a good power supply ....

OK , here goes..
'Green' Steve Hillage
'Revolver' Beatles
'Astral Weeks' Van Morrison

( and to read, 'In our time' Hemingway, 'Lolita' by Nabokov , and 'Ulysses' or maybe Doughty's 'Wanderings in Arabia Deserta' , those two would need some time to fathom-out )
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

This is cruel, too hard...

Andrew the I specified choose 3 and chose 4 :scratch:

If pushed

Astral Weeks - Van Morrison
Physical Graffitti - Led Zeppelin
Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) - Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band.

But I'm really not sure about that, probably change my mind in the morning.

I recently laid me mitts on Sony Box Set, FLAC files, complete Mahler stuff, after noticing some folk here favour the fella.

I think there's 12 or 13 albums there, I've so far listened to the first four. Brief impression: Um, what's all the fuss about? To me seems just like a load of noodling, they don't seem to have any structure, melody or passion.

It's as if Mahler just hummed whatever came into his head into a voice recorder then said to the orchestra 'play that'. I can't see it and I don't get it. Which may make me a pleb, I dunno, but, so far, Mr Mahler is not lighting my fire.

So, I've tried Miles Davis (I can understand why he's popular but by and large not for me) and Mahler (akin to watching grass grow or paint dry) through what peeps like here.

Hmm. Must be my baby boomer/council estate roots ;)
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Beethoven 6th symphony
Mozart Clarinet Concerto
Gong You

That was easier than I expected.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I wouldn't in a million years try to persuade anyone that they should like a piece of music but here's a thing.

On my way somewhere yesterday, or the day, before Joan Armourplating was talking to the guitarist of Franz Ferdinand. And understanding a little more about the socio-economic background and what the musicians were trying to achieve, as I now do, almost made me want to go back and listen to some of this stuff.

Surely understanding of this sort makes any piece of music much much more interesting, meaningful and you can get the point.

If I were to listen to FranzFerd without a little background they would be just another (dull, to me) boy band strumming guitars. One cannot expect Mahler, for example, to be 'a good tune' because in the era he wrote in nobody was writing good tunes - they were expressing themselves in a different way rather like say how the Expressionists in Art had moved on from Impressionism and were fast heading into Fauvism and Da Da. (Mahler's politics, the rabid anti-semitism of the time, the times themselves and Wagner's unending hatred for Gus all add importnat messages. Mahler's musical jokes are there too; even grumpy old Beethoven had a stab at humour and Mozart is full of it.)

And here's where music can make you laugh too. Sometimes there are examples where music is a joke in itself. Back in the band days we often encored' with a very difficult to play song called '11 bar blues'. Without the lyrics it was still ludicrous as it challenged almost everyone in the audience to re-listen to something that is as basic as A - B - K. People actually laughed and so did we even though I for ne was sweating hard concentrating like I've never did before not to slip back into that 12 bar pattern.

Lyrics of course can be a scream, a hoot and a weeze. Clever music too can make one laugh just because it is so very clever. Some of Frank Zappa's music is like this and he asked 'Does humour belong in music?' I believe.

Then there's what happens at the end of the first CD of.... that Swedish jazz band's album, The something club ... can't 'member, sorry, where the musicians have hacked to death and played very well a particular old chestnut of the jazz style and they won't play the coda (or ending) - they keep the tension hanging beautifully and the audience just have to wait. They love it - it is funny.

and on and on

Sorry too about four albums but hey! we can all cheat a little.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

andrew Ivimey wrote:

And here's where music can make you laugh too. Sometimes there are examples where music is a joke in itself. Back in the band days we often encored' with a very difficult to play song called '11 bar blues'. Without the lyrics it was still ludicrous as it challenged almost everyone in the audience to re-listen to something that is as basic as A - B - K. People actually laughed and so did we even though I for ne was sweating hard concentrating like I've never did before not to slip back into that 12 bar pattern.

and on and on
golden brown always did it for me......first song second set, never failed to get me focussed......ah memories

diet: sorry I forgot the topic....

astral weeks
strictly personal
vagabonds of the western world

oh, and for my third, Beth Orton - central reservation
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Here's my three penn'orth that make me smile again;

1. Vivaldi's Four Seasons, performed by Red Priest
2. Foxtrot - Genesis (specifically the track Suppers Ready)
3. Here's the Tender Coming - The Unthanks

Why?

1. Listen to a copy and you'll hear why
2. Memories of very happy days and some fun lyrics on great music
3. There's always someone worse off than you!

Ray
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: 3. There's always someone worse off than you!

Ray
That is very true Ray, but not always of comfort when you are having a really shit day (or week :( )

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

You have?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:You have?
It's not unknown. :wink:

Edmund Burke

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

pre65 wrote:
Ray P wrote: 3. There's always someone worse off than you!

Ray
That is very true Ray, but not always of comfort when you are having a really shit day (or week :( )
Phil, it helps me to keep a perspective on things; when all is said and done I would prefer a shit day here to a normal day in, say, a famine camp in East Africa.

Ray