Albert Collins

Share the music that moves you.......
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

floppybootstomp wrote:Ok, you may now turn over your papers. You have two hours to complete chosen topic 'Does one need to possess quality audio reproduction equipment to love music?'

Extra marks given for confrontational arguments and quirky observations.
Calm down, some people like Albert Collins, why so aggressive? then on another thread where blues had to be rejuvenated because you have assasinated the enjoyment of Albert Clollins here you demponstrate you aren't just aggressive but hypocrytical too? Carry on as you are you'll chase people away. we don't come here to be undermined picked at and our valid points turned in to contentions. We can keep our knowledge and abilities to ourselves if we want. These are my last words to you if you don't change style. my point about needing a good system before being able to appreciate Hendrix was valid. Your turning it into an argument i won't rise to. any fool can see the poor logic. The very reason forums like this exist is so that people can improve their enjoyment by improved systems, and along with that they will find some artists suddenly come into focus for them. What you say is true, your motivation the context and the outcome are poor and very sad for this forum if you aren't stopped in your tracks. you have been sussed.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

There are times when we listen to music other than on our beloved hi-fi systems.

The TV, car radio, MP3 player, computer, clock radio etc are all common items that can emit music of our choice (or not :wink:).

So I see floppys question not as a "threat" to our quest for perfection but just as part of the wider scene for music appreciation of all types . :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Calm down, some people like Albert Collins, why so aggressive?
No need to calm down, I'm not angry. If you've interpreted my posts as aggressive I'm sorry I haven't expressed myself better and the last part post of mine you've quoted was my attempt at humour.
then on another thread where blues had to be rejuvenated because you have assasinated the enjoyment of Albert Clollins here you demponstrate you aren't just aggressive but hypocrytical too?
That's a bit strong `assassinated the enjoyment of Albert Collins'. If I don't like something I'll say so, it can't be cosy all the time. You will recall I pointed out in so many words my comments were purely my opinion and I also mentioned I could appreciate his talent.
Carry on as you are you'll chase people away.
You think so? Just because I seem to have upset you doesn't mean others will send me to Coventry. Well I hope not anyway.
we don't come here to be undermined picked at and our valid points turned in to contentions. We can keep our knowledge and abilities to ourselves if we want.
You use the word `we'. Do you consider yourself part of a clique then? And yes, you can do whatever you want.
These are my last words to you if you don't change style.
I won't change my style for anybody. You sound like one of my teachers all those years ago. I will say what I think and try to offer justification for my opinions and statements and I do try very hard not to offend.

my point about needing a good system before being able to appreciate Hendrix was valid.
Strongly disagree. As was mentioned `Mozart didn't have a record player'.
Your turning it into an argument i won't rise to.
But you have my friend, you have. Although this was not my intention, I merely expressed an opinion then replied with my thoughts to your suggestion that I should listen to music on a `better' system. I would have called it a good natured debate and exchange of views rather than an argument. How others view what I say sometimes differs from how I've seen it unfortunately.
any fool can see the poor logic.
Not quite with you here. Are you saying I'm a fool because I disagree with you? And that your point of view is `logic'?

Yes, enjoyment of music can be improved by listening on a good system but it's not vital, it's not essential to enjoy music.
The very reason forums like this exist is so that people can improve their enjoyment by improved systems, and along with that they will find some artists suddenly come into focus for them.
In my opinion first part of statement true, second part possibly true.
What you say is true, your motivation the context and the outcome are poor and very sad for this forum if you aren't stopped in your tracks. you have been sussed.
That's personal. Now you definitely sounding like one of my teachers. I've been sussed? There's nothing about me to suss. To use that expression is to infer I have a hidden agenda, that I'm up to something devious and that I want to upset other people here.

All of which is not true, I merely gave opinions and expressed views in what I hoped was a non-aggressive manner. I also attempted humour, plainly lost on yourself.

Being sussed. What would you like to know about me then? I'm just a sixty year old fella who happens to like music and sometimes enjoys a frank but good natured exchange of views. Anything you'd like to know about me, ask away, I will answer.

If you choose to make your last post your last words to me, so be it. I won't lose any sleep over your decision though will admit it will dismay me a little.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Can we stop now? To quote Thumpers mother

"If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all"
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

I've stopped.

Consider me neutered.

No more, no more.....
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

Paul Barker wrote:some people like Albert Collins
They sure do and I'm one of them. He was a great artist and his playing had so much feel. Master of the telecaster he had a unique style and lots of his own compositions and that can be rare in blues.
Lots of energy in his music and lots of sadness.

"if trouble was money I swear I'd be a millionaire" Albert Collins

stevieg
mardy old git

Post by stevieg »

Saw AC at a Colne Blues Festival many years ago. His Tele (scorching tone) had a mega long lead and he leapt off the stage and prowled amongst the audience. Top entertainment, which doesn't make him any less "blues" than other, allegedly "deeper" players.

I have loved the blues since I was about 13 (60 now - jeez), and most of that time not via a good system. Or maybe yes? One of my favourite memories is listening to Hendrix Cry of Love when it first came out via a Garrard SP25 on a cardboard box plinth, through 2 Marshall guitar stacks behind the sofa in a smallish Gateshead living room. 'Course, there was a strong chemical following wind blowing at the time....

Just picked up a Blind Willie Johnson Double vinyl, and a reissue of Muddy Waters' After the Rain. Too windy to play them last night!

Enjoy the music you enjoy the way you like to enjoy it. You'll never hear it all any way, so you're bound to missing out on something.

Cheers Steve
In single malt we trust.
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

Thanks for sharing the memories Steve. I'm a blues lover too and i have always enjoyed it no matter the system.
stevieg
mardy old git

Post by stevieg »

Cheers Mr Works. Consider yourself bought a beer.

Steve
In single malt we trust.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Just to add nothing wrong with Mr Collins and many other blues artists blues is the roots of all music and I love it 8) what I can't do is listen to music on a bad system after hearing it on a good system
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Just to add nothing wrong with Mr Collins and many other blues artists blues is the roots of all music and I love it 8) what I can't do is listen to music on a bad system after hearing it on a good system
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

Cheers, night is young and the band still playing.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

colin.hepburn wrote:.......blues is the roots of all music and I love it......
Hmmm, so what about at least 5000 (and probably more) previous years of music making? Do you mean Blues is the roots of modern late 20th/early 21st centuary popular music :wink:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, I wondered about that as well. in fact

"Do you mean Blues is the roots of modern western late 20th/early 21st century popular music."

Much as I love the blues.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

You're taking things a Image too literally.