Old Hand

#1 Albert Collins

Post by Mo »

Awesome

Phil listen and learn :lol:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Well Mo, I managed to see it through to the end. Not really my thing, but I could listen now and then. :wink:

Is that "blues" ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

"Dats da Blues", or at least the Ice Mans take on it Phil.

Its like saying 'Jazz', it covers a mahoosive area of music.

Heres a clip of 3 different fellas taken a solo each. See how each one has has a different approach to sound and solo-ing. @1.45 Albert, then Roy, then Lonnie.

You're coming along nicely fella :lol:

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes I have cold Snap, it is iconic of it's era. The quality of the electric guitar is in the same league but of it's own genre as Hendrix is of his genre. the whole albus is tastefully put together and skillfully recorded, something which is long lost. the pace of the music is like a metronome, it is as well paced as Nina Simone singing. She too is one of the few artists with true sense of time. each track is carefully selected in relation to the previous and the next, there is synergy, the lead in is not jump cut like.

Granted the Seasick Steve story is a cute one. and it's nice to give a down and out a break. he isn't a patch on these guys and neither is his recording artist on theirs. His tyracks don't coordinate with the ones either side, his album is jumping alover the place, and it is bereft of quality supporting musincanship. These guys are all the best of their game in their time at their genre.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Paul Barker wrote: and it is bereft of quality supporting musincanship
I think John Paul Jones might be dispute this 8)
Chris :happy3:
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Albert Collins always left me cold as do a lot of 'blues' artists. Especially Eric Clapton though I like a lot of his mainstream stuff.

I like the original Robert Johnson recordings, Freddie King, I'm sure I'll think of more.

I just came by the 3 CD set of the Rolling Stones 1969 'Get Yer Ya Ya's Out' which has a set by BB King and that didn't do much for me either.

Just out of interest anybody remember two late sixties albums 'Oh Really?' by Mike Cooper & 'Long Overdue' by Gordon Smith. Brit blues I suppose. I have both, the Mike Cooper one on vinyl which I've had since I bought it around '69.

Blues by Dumpy's Rusty Nuts: Woke up this morning, woke up yesterday morning too, if I wake up tomorrow moring that'll be three mornings in a row I woke up...
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

you nead a good DAC, a quality Se amp and exceptional speakers to hear it at it's best

:wink:
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

:D You may have a point there Paul!
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Paul Barker wrote:you nead a good DAC, a quality Se amp and exceptional speakers to hear it at it's best

:wink:
Possibly so but if music doesn't please me on moderate sounding equipment then no amount of quality audio reproduction components is going to make the music any more enjoyable for me.

I am reminded of the test Pink Floyd carried out when listening to the music they had recorded, listening to playback on a small transistor radio to judge how most of the public would hear their efforts.

If the music shone through then it would obviously sound better on equipment of a higher quality. If it sounded like crap it was still going to sound like crap no matter what it was played on.

Do I sense some sort of audio elitism present here just cos I don't like a lot of da blooz? ;)
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Hint. I never enjoyed Jimmy Hendrix much, now hear the subtleties and his voice is so much sweater I like him.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Hint. I always liked Jimi Hendrix, ever since I heard Hey Joe played on a 7" single on a Dansette at my local youth club. Hearing him on equipment capable of bringing out extra nuances only increased my enjoyment.

If I don't like something I don't like something, it's just the way we're built, as individuals. The sound quality of that Youtube clip of Albert Collins sounded pretty good to me and I can apreciate the guy's talent. But to me it's just so much elevator music.

I just sanded down and put wood preserver on me patio table. Whilst doing so I listened to the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magic on me i-Pod. Damn, that is one fine album, easily their best (imo) and I never tire of it.

To others it would possibly induce nothing but apoplexy. Even when played with a good DAC, a single ended amp and exceptional loudspeakers ;)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Pistols at dawn? .. Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Ok, you may now turn over your papers. You have two hours to complete chosen topic 'Does one need to possess quality audio reproduction equipment to love music?'

Extra marks given for confrontational arguments and quirky observations.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

floppybootstomp wrote:Ok, you may now turn over your papers. You have two hours to complete chosen topic 'Does one need to possess quality audio reproduction equipment to love music?'

Extra marks given for confrontational arguments and quirky observations.
Simple answer is NO. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Mozart didn't have a record player.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.