Karine Polwart

Share the music that moves you.......
Samantha
User

#1 Karine Polwart

Post by Samantha »

Samantha, as mentioned, got to see karine Polwart last evening and she was excellent. In a similar mould, have you tried any of Eleanor McEvoy's music?
Thought I'd answer in a new thread since Loreena's thread is getting diluted..... I have only heard three tracks by Karine so far, but enjoyed them all.

I have however bought loads of new music recently (since getting my turntable, been on new music overload...) so want to hear what I've got before adding more. That's the theory - but I have bids in on a few CDs on Ebay currently. :oops:

Anyway, not heard Eleanor McEvoy at all, is she a similar type of music/voice or just another artist you would recommend?
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2 Eleanor McEvoy

Post by Ray P »

Hello Sam, if you like Karine Polwart there's a reasonable chance you'll like Eleanor McEvoy. You can sample some tracks here:

http://www.eleanormcevoy.com/sounds/index.html

She cares about recording quality too. I have several of her albums on SACD but I believe they're available on vinyl too.

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

SACD isn't an option for me I'm afraid.

Just tried to listen from the site you linked me to, but no joy - so got the short sound bite from Amazon, hard to tell as the sound via my PC is soooooo bad!!! Lol
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

cant play it either
Ray P

#5 MP3

Post by Ray P »

Did you try scrolling dwn to the mp3 samples? If you've got media player you should be able to listen.

Not sure about the other format, I'm sat in a hotel room at prsent paying a small fortune to connect so I'll have a look when I get back home.

Ray
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

got it, thanks.

Yes prefer that to that other folky stuff. Not really into folk of any kind. Recognise good voices from both though. respect.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Samantha, you can get Eleanor McEvoy's recordings in 16/48 CD too (and the SACDs also have a CD layer)

To play the samples you had problems with I'm pretty sure you need RealPlayer on your PC.

Ray
Mullardman
User

Post by Mullardman »

Hello!,

I've got most of Karine Polwart's stuff, having been introduced to her by Andy 831. I can't really agree that Eleanor Mc Evoy is similar. To be fair I only have one CD of E McE... but although she is certainly a fine artist, I can't escape the impression that she's a sort of mixture. She sounds a bitlike lots of people, but, for me she doesn't have a distinctive sound or personality of her own.

Mull
Andy831
User

Post by Andy831 »

I just Adore Karin Polwart but Eleanor Mc just does not float my boat.