Live music.

Share the music that moves you.......
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Report from Hyde Park.

Satdee went to see S'wonder, JeremyKwee, James Morrison and Corrine Baily Rae.

CBR = as flat as her chest. Dull but very popular with the masses, superb Drummer, bassist (Kenny Higgins) and Keyboard player but backing vox were terrible.
JM = Pretty good actually, quite surprised. Superb backing band again, horn section VG.
Jamwickywicky= were piggin' sooperb. Totally awethum. Bit like a greatest-hits gig with clever segue's between songs. So tight, so right! P.A. system had trouble coping with Synth-bass bits on set-closer 'Deeper Underground'.... Yessssssss! Have that W-bins :lol:
S'Wonder = Meh, dull, too `showbizzy' and subsituting some lyrics with the crowd-non-pleasing-chant `God Bless Micheal Jackson' didn't win me over either. Syrupy? Yes! :-)

Crap beer at Hyde Park, Tuborg <tastless>

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Saw Mr. S. Wonder on't ol' telly from Glastonbury last night, quite enthralling really. That means good :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Glad you had a good time DTB, I suspected SW may have entered his 'Elvis at Vegas' phase after catching footage of him a while back espousing the greatness of one Barack Obama. Damn shame, really.

James Morrison was good? Bloody blimey.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

floppybootstomp wrote: James Morrison was good? Bloody blimey.
Yeah really, he managed to slip in a crafty groove cover of 'Use Me" ala Bill Wivvers.

Won me over.

Going to see CS+N this Saturday at the RFH.

DTB
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

I'm envious.

Whats the RFH?

Never mind its the Festival Hall .......of course. Silly me.
Much to learn there is.
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Dave the bass wrote:

DTB
One has only one question to ask - why? ;)

An ex-Holly, a big fat walrus with a new kidney and a lookalike of Robert Duvall circa Apocalypse Now, albeit with less hair and more weight.

Will they come on stage covered in cobwebs? Me bad :D

Teach Your Children and Almost Cut My Hair. Says it all really.

I note with some amusement the only one with any class from the sometime original quartet is not appearing with them.

Bloody Hippies :D

Have fun :)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

^^^^ <coughs...splutters coffee over keyboard> :lol:

'cos they're still piggin' amazing innit. Yes, they're old (so are you .. ha!) but boy they could still do it last time JTS saw 'em. She saw them in 1991-ish on the Acoustic Tour at the RAH (Royal Albert Hall BTW Al ;-) )

Witness.

This version of Guinevere is awethumne (IMO).

So there :-)

DTB
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Royal Albert Hall BTW Al
:)

Bin there. :)
Much to learn there is.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

al newall wrote:
Royal Albert Hall BTW Al

Yep, there's quite a few around the venue.

I always put litter in them.

SWIDT? :-)

DTB
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Dave the bass wrote:
al newall wrote:
Royal Albert Hall BTW Al

Yep, there's quite a few around the venue.

I always put litter in them.

DTB
Rubbish ! :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote: Rubbish ! :wink:
Agreed :-)

DTB
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Dave the bass wrote:^^^^ <coughs...splutters coffee over keyboard> :lol:

'cos they're still piggin' amazing innit. Yes, they're old (so are you .. ha!) but boy they could still do it last time JTS saw 'em. She saw them in 1991-ish on the Acoustic Tour at the RAH (Royal Albert Hall BTW Al ;-) )

Witness.

This version of Guinevere is awethumne (IMO).

So there :-)

DTB
Haha! As our transatlantic colonial cousins often remark 'Aw, I just teasin' ya'. And why do they always have to say that? Yes mate - we know! :D

In my early days whenever we gathered to drink herbal tea or Polish spirit and smoke hideous amounts of herb there was ALWAYS a friggin' copy of Deja Vu being skinned up upon.

It seemed to me if you didn't have a copy of that album you were not hip. There was a very good reason David Crosby got kicked out of The Byrds, lol, but I digress

And from that observation I came not to like them very much, though I do actually own a CD of Deja Vu, probably for nostalgia's sake. Twee, soppy, over rated, I could go on.

Have a listen to The Mothers Live At The Filmore '71 where Zappa and vocalists Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman reinvented themselves from Brit band The Turtles into Flo and Eddie.

They do a severe piss take of CSN which even back then was thoroughly deserved.

The only thing they done worthy of note was to individually and probably collectively shape up with Joni Mitchell. An interesting thought, n'est ce pas?

Which may or may have not have been the reason they fell out and made countless dirge-like solo albums and form dodgy bands with silly names like 'Manassass'.

All me mates seemed to like this lot whilst I often wondered what the fuss was all about.

Oh well, ho hum, if you like it, then it's good, and it's as simple as that ;) Enjoy :D

Me, I'm having a non-music night so far, have just played a few hours of SAW on the X-Box. Luvverley.

And today I played a vinyl Pantera album, though I'm still not sure why.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

CS+N at the RAH.

Flippin' brillyant. No support just them + backing band consisting of Bass, Drums and 2 Keyboard players, one synth/Leccy Piano and the other B3 Hammond with obligatory Leslie Cab.

They came on at 8.00PM and left stage at just gone 11PM, stopped for 20min break after a rip roaring version of Wooden Ship, JTS blubbed a bit during Mr Still's epic solo's, he's a bit special that fella. Time flew by, highlights apart from all the 'hits' (natch) were their acoustic 'covers' set mid gig.... Norwegian Wood, Long May you Run, Behind Blue Eyes (!) and summat by the Allman Bros called Midnight summat.

Stephen Still's has a certain something about his playing, its not like he's 'tech' or 'blues/jazz/country' or anything, just soooooooo overall good. Soulful? Yes, thats the word.

Top show.

Makes up for naff S. Wonder gig the week before :-)

DTB
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Glastonbury was great this year,if very hot.Met a very drunk Harvey Bainbridge (ex member of Hawkwind) in the Green Room bar,and saw a great set in there from Alabama 3.Other highlights for me were The Beat,and Turin Brakes in the Acoustic tent.Lots of sun,and lots of beer.Lurvely!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Ali Tait wrote:Glastonbury was great this year,if very hot.Met a very drunk Harvey Bainbridge (ex member of Hawkwind) in the Green Room bar,and saw a great set in there from Alabama 3.Other highlights for me were The Beat,and Turin Brakes in the Acoustic tent.Lots of sun,and lots of beer.Lurvely!
Aye, our Lad reckoned it was fabbo too Ali. Jon drank from the Cider bus all the time :roll: :D

Harvey Bainbridge, <doffs cap> I really liked his playing around the Hawklords/Sonic Assasins era. His bass part on the track 'Freefall' deserve the Nobel Prize for brilliance alone(IMO)!

I'd have brought him 2 pints meself.

DTB