Live music.

Share the music that moves you.......
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

Dave the bass wrote:Saw Metallica and Slayer on the same bill, Slayer Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz but Metallica were great.

I think Jay Kaye (from JamickyWhy) has all thats needed to be a great front man. A big gob, a big hat and a deep concern for the environment that doesn't curtail him driving like a loony all over the world in petrol guzzling huge great V12 cars :lol: He's a plonker but he's (and the various line ups have) done some great fonk.

the bass part alone is so heavy you put on a stone whilst listening to this track.

big hat + prat in full-effect.

Stuart Zender (bassist) and JK fell out big time but they goove like a mofo (which is good) on this.

...and he's a skater too... no really... he is 1.18.

...Jeremy Kwee!

I rest my case M'lud :lol:

Stevie Wonder. Syrupy? getaway widja bad self...

...and... ...err.... hang on.........

I'll give you that one :D

DTB
Ok, I watched all that lot, sound quality varied with the Jamiroquai outings.

I said earlier I didn't 'get' Jamiroquai. I do now. After sitting through that lot I've sussed it - it's him. Jay Kay. What an annoying twat he is. Sorry, but there's something about him that totally rubs me up the wrong way.

The musicians allied to him are, however, superb, to my non-musician ears.

As for his enviromental sympathies, no cred points with me. I was once an idealistic ban the bomb hippy with real green concerns but as I've aged and taken in the bigger picture I now consider the Green party to be Nazis.

I won't go into the many whys and wherefores that led me to this decision, I could ramble on for an exceedingly long time, but suffice to say I still care for the planet but I'm convinced Mother Earth can take care of herself a damn siight more than we give her credit for.

The recent oil spill distressed me greatly http://www.disinfo.com/2010/06/beauty-a ... spill-pic/ and I don't like smog. But - one long haul flight will pollute our atmosphere as much as a year's worth of London traffic but ask one of Green friends to take a boat for his annual vacation to Tenerife and he will balk at the idea. And he wants me to stop me driving my wheels.

Tip of the iceberg, my example, but suffice to say extreme weather conditions have been around on this planet since mankind became clever enough to keep records, and that was a helluva long time before the internal combustion engine or huge factories came along.

Stevie Wonder is superb, love his stuff, but he's changed. One little anecdote, he once pulled out of a London concert in the early eighties as somebody swiped the floppy disk he programmed his keyboards with and he was somewhat knackered without it. Pip pip! ;)
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote:One thing that I was made aware of at the organ recital is the "bass" quality / quantity.

Even on the lowest notes the bass can at times be "delicate", so sometimes at home what I took as lightweight bass was in fact quite accurate. :)
Very true!

It's not all necessarily "thump thump thump thump" :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
stevieg
mardy old git

Post by stevieg »

It's not all necessarily "thump thump thump thump"
Aye, but that's what folk think is bass. Nice bass, they say. They can't understand that it's their shoddy speaker cabs singing along.
In single malt we trust.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Resonance a go-go

:lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

stevieg wrote:
It's not all necessarily "thump thump thump thump"
Aye, but that's what folk think is bass. Nice bass, they say. They can't understand that it's their shoddy speaker cabs singing along.
What happens if the speakers are reproducing the sound of the bass players' shoddy speaker cabs singing along ?

Chris :?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Very good question!

So then are you poking about with your own cabs trying to find a fault that doesn't exist? :lol:

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Mike H wrote:Very good question!

So then are you poking about with your own cabs trying to find a fault that doesn't exist? :lol:

Well there is the potential for doing just that............

Chris :D
stevieg
mardy old git

Post by stevieg »

Isn't that why you DI the bass into the desk? I too have suffered the Curse of the Shoddy Bass Cab. That should flush out DTB.

My Favourite Stevie Wonder has to be Living for the City with Margouleff and Cecil (Tonto's Expanding Head Band) skanking around the Moogs like funky rabbis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuaSzFf7yq0
In single malt we trust.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

stevieg wrote:Isn't that why you DI the bass into the desk?
No!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote:
stevieg wrote:Isn't that why you DI the bass into the desk?
No!
Tell him Ed! Tell him!

Though TBH, best bass sound's I ever recorded (IMO) were DI'd...........

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
stevieg
mardy old git

Post by stevieg »

Consider me coat well and truly got...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfKGNBlfveA

finest piece of fake jazz ever recorded. The fuzz guitar is a masterstroke; curling out from the speakers like smoke from a hookah.
In single malt we trust.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

sorry it was a bit abrupt.......It sparked a memory of CB deciding the only way he wanted zoots gittar to sound was if he put the little fender cabinet face down inside the steinway........

tell that to the kids today and they just don't believe you........

DI has its place but there are times when you need some oxygen around, good good good, good vibrations
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

ed wrote:sorry it was a bit abrupt.......It sparked a memory of CB deciding the only way he wanted zoots gittar to sound was if he put the little fender cabinet face down inside the steinway........

tell that to the kids today and they just don't believe you........

DI has its place but there are times when you need some oxygen around, good good good, good vibrations
Hey :)
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
stevieg
mardy old git

Post by stevieg »

No worries ed.
.......It sparked a memory of CB deciding the only way he wanted zoots gittar to sound was if he put the little fender cabinet face down inside the steinway........
This would be in search of the Long Lunar Note?
In single malt we trust.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Is it just me or does the famed 'long lunar note' (the one that floats...) sound as though it merges into a sustained keyboard note at some point before reverting back to a vibrato'd slide part again?

Either way it is a seminal note in the History of Rock :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"