Live music.

Share the music that moves you.......
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Live music.

Post by pre65 »

As some of you noticed at Owston, I like unaccompanied choral music.

At 13.10 today I went to a lunchtime recital at Long Melford church, where a 60 voice German choir were singing a selection of songs..

50 minutes of pure joy. Mainly sung in German, no music and just beautiful, harmonic voices. Very emotional.

The choir was Kantorei Gross Flottbek from Hamburg and they are on tour in East Anglia.

Every Wednesday they hold a lunchtime concert, last week was two classical guitarists and next week is a soprano.

Not the sort of "gig" that will interest most of you perhaps but I likes it. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

A message for Nick.

The German choir were a bit better than the German guitar music and the German military marching music (with Adolf Cleese :wink: ), but only just. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

no music and just beautiful, harmonic voices.
I am guessing you mean "no accompaniment" there.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote:
Indeed, that was what I meant to say ! :wink:

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

It was interesting, that before every song the conductor would "ping" a tuning fork, hold it to their ear and give the choir a range of notes vocally.

Typical Teutonic thoroughness ?

Edmund Burke

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote:
Typical Teutonic thoroughness ?
Not just Teutonic, it's practised the (music) world over. The Tuning fork generates a tone to give them (the Choir) a reference for the key centre I'd imagine. Orchestra's have a 'scrape' and tune up before launch at the beginning of a gig. Sounds like a bag of kittens being boiled!

You can now buy very accurate Electronic Tuning devices for instruments now, some work by picking up mechanical vibration, others by direct input from a coil on an electric guitar or bass and other's use an in-built microphone like this...

Well done on going to the live gig's BTW, it's good to actually experience these sounds 1st hand innit.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Pah! I fart in your general direction!

when did you last see anyone in the LSO or royal phil using one of them there gizmos..Pah!

real musos do it with their ears....just to prove that some ears are better than others they use that scratching/scrape so's those with bad ears can copy those with good...least thats my theory....

ackshirley I'm fulla poo...here's mine
Attachments
qt.jpg
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote: when did you last see anyone in the LSO or royal phil using one of them there gizmos..Pah!
:) Nah, I've never seen the LSO or any other 'O' for that matter using a digi tuner! I've only seen them scrape n scatch tune. I read somewhere that over the years the ref pitch 'A' has increased in sharpness up to our current A = 440Hz spec. Dunno if thats fo' real?

I was trying to give our Phil an idea of how other muso's tune up in the real world. I use a Korg Chromatic tuner ran off a volume pedal so i can mute the on-stage sound and tune to my hearts (and ears) content.

That QT tuner is pants Ed :lol: Try tuning a 6 string bass with that.....BEADGC...... :D

DTB
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

If anybody remembers Jamboree bags that Quik Tune fingie belongs in one :tongue1:

Haha and slap me down with a stick of wet celery :rabbit:

I would have liked to have heard that choir, more out of curiosity than anything else.

There is a certain choral style I like but I don't know what it is. It's kind of (searches hard for descriptive words) ethereal; heavenly; medieval; spooky.

I do know White Zombie sampled just such a choir on an album of theirs from the year 2000 but other than that I have not a clue.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Dave the bass wrote: That QT tuner is pants Ed :lol: Try tuning a 6 string bass with that.....BEADGC...... :D

DTB
snigger......yoof of today, no barins at all......it tunes in octaves, so bottom B would light up the top B, sept its a bit more sensitive....have had to use it on Bella a couple of times, but she only varies a couple of cents between seasons, indoors or out etc etc.....
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote:
Dave the bass wrote: That QT tuner is pants Ed :lol: Try tuning a 6 string bass with that.....BEADGC...... :D

DTB
snigger......yoof of today, no barins at all......it tunes in octaves, so bottom B would light up the top B, sept its a bit more sensitive....have had to use it on Bella a couple of times, but she only varies a couple of cents between seasons, indoors or out etc etc.....

Pfffttttt...... and my high 'C'???...... can't see no 'C' on the Crap-time..... :)

DTB

PS. Do ya know what scale length is Bella Ed off hand? I saw Il Dragonara's actual 3 string Bass a while back, it was gy-normous!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

That QT tuner is pants Ed Laughing Try tuning a 6 string bass with that.....BEADGC...... Very Happy
Does it matter? Most 6 string bass players I have heard never stay on a note long enough for the tuning to be noticed :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

you tellin me you can't get a harmonic from top G!!!!!I'm gonna get onto the MU and get them to have you re-tested...

Bella is 41.75" genuine bedouine 3/4 size......I'm not tall enough or strong enough for a 4/4 any more.....wimper

anyway, C is for Cissies
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote:you tellin me you can't get a harmonic from top G!!!!!I'm gonna get onto the MU and get them to have you re-tested...

Bella is 41.75" genuine bedouine 3/4 size......I'm not tall enough or strong enough for a 4/4 any more.....wimper

anyway, C is for Cissies
'corse I can get a C from a G, but now you're cheetin'. You don't work for QT by any time do you?!!! :-)

IIRC using Open Harmonics you can 'spell' a 9th chord on an open string. Root/3rd/5th/7th/9th.

I'm getting me bass. I'm gonna work it out again :-)

Nick wrote:
Does it matter? Most 6 string bass players I have heard never stay on a note long enough for the tuning to be noticed :-)
Excitment innit?

"Cor.....look at all these strings...so many to choose from....that one.... no... that one.... no.... that one...." :-)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote:
Nick wrote:
Indeed, that was what I meant to say ! :wink:
LOL and "unaccompanied" makes it sound like he was there on his own. :D

Ack-shirley, he might've been ....

Since you bring the subject up, reminds me sometimes I think I might like one o' them Gregory monks CD's

Whatever they're called

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."