Thats another one of the greats gone :-(

Share the music that moves you.......
Nick
Site Admin

#1 Thats another one of the greats gone :-(

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Sad news.

Spooky too, 10 days later marks the 20th Anniversary of Jaco Pastorius's death.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Thats a bit depressing as well, I remember being told of JP's death, I was running the pub at the time, it was on the 10 o-clock news, Kaye phoned down, and the non jazz fans in the pub got a bit confused as a big bunch of us got very drunk.

Even more scary, is the fact that it was Zalwinul who gave JP his first drink, he said of the event that he realised he had made a mistake. But I guess JP was a train wreck waiting to happen :-(
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

I think I told the story at Donny about my sons bass player friend who was on a cruise and in one of the bars was a show band dressed as Red Indians and he thought crap show band until he was having a pee in the toilet next to JP in full war paint.
I'll get him to tell the story when he's down this way.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Yeah, Will, there's a book detailing JP's life and it makes references to his penchant for Indian make-up and dancing a lot. He used to go through spells of break-dancing and moonwalking too according to the same book :?

Like Nick said, it seems he was perfectly straight till the 'excesses' got the better of him and just tipped him over the edge. Seems his Dad was a bit of a character too, the kids dubbed him 'Mr Personality'.

I never saw him live in person but have collected a lot of video footage since I started playing bass. My other half saw him twice in Weather Report and can't remember much about either time other than and I quote 'It went on a bit :roll: '

DTB
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

:!: Idea.

Can we play a Jaco/Weather Report track at WF3 to mark the occasion? That Friday is 20 years to the day.

DTB