House sound?

For anything about cans, and the amplifiers that drive them
Phil Y
User

#1 House sound?

Post by Phil Y »

I was considering getting some headphones for late night music & TV.
I have no significant experience with h-phones but have been doing a bit of looking.
I am very unlikely to be able to hear all the ones I might consider so my question is, do different makes tend to have a "house sound"?
The 3 that I've seen that might fit are AKG K702, Sennheiser HD 579 and Beyer DT880. These are all around the same price and are about what I was considering spending.

If I could not hear these exact models, would hearing another h-phone by the same make, the Beyer 770 say, give me an idea (combined with online reviews) of what I might get from the 880 or does the sound of different models vary as much as between the different makes?

Regards, Phil.
Greg
Social outcast

#2 Re: House sound?

Post by Greg »

Phil, sorry, can’t answer your question, but you are welcome to borrow my Sennheiser 650’s if it might help your research.
DSJR
User

#3 Re: House sound?

Post by DSJR »

A bit long ago when I used to compare these or their predecessor headphones. Top open-back Sennheisers used to be slightly mellow and 'subtle' in balance (my ancient well travelled HD25SP's are anything but and I love 'em to pieces, this character something most of you wouldn't I suspect :D ) Beyers used to sparkle a bit, some too much and I'm not so sure about the middling AKG's from memory. we had a lovely 'Sound bar' with several headphone sets all connected so you could listen to many different models.

if you can accommodate them for comfort, don't ignore the mid price Grado's. I understand the lower two or three models differ only in possible selection during manufacture and the earpads/cushions used and my favourite was the £320 approx. model. Going up from this tended to bland the music out when I compared them just over a year ago and the £1200 ones sounded more 'ordinary' to me - some regard this ordinary quality as 'refinement' so make of this what you will, especially as I love rocking out with the '25's which aren't especially neutral.....
Phil Y
User

#4 Re: House sound?

Post by Phil Y »

Thanks for the offer Greg,
Yours are a good bit more expensive than I'm looking at, but if I come to the conclusion that there is a company sound, they may still be worth a listen. I'll bare it in mind.

DJSR,
Thanks for the info, Sennheiser, if more mellow may be to my taste.
I had seen the Grados but their reported lack of comfort put me off a bit. I don't generally find headphones easy to wear for long periods so was leaning toward ones with a reputation for comfort. Obviously I would still try a pair if I have a chance as their sound is reported to be good.

Phil.
Greg
Social outcast

#5 Re: House sound?

Post by Greg »

No problem, Phil. HD650’s and other models and makes are often available second hand at a very good price. From a hygiene perspective, replacement ear foam and covers are available from Sennheiser for little cost. They can also be removed and washed.
chris661
Shed dweller

#6 Re: House sound?

Post by chris661 »

If there are any audio/DJ/music shops nearby, they're usually happy to give you a demo.
FWIW, I tried out some Shure SRH840s in a shop and couldn't leave without them.

Chris
Phil Y
User

#7 Re: House sound?

Post by Phil Y »

Hello Chris,

Shure was not a brand I had considered.
Thanks for the tip, I will have a look.

Phil.
rowuk
Old Hand

#8 Re: House sound?

Post by rowuk »

I compared all of these and ended up with the AKGs. My sound engineer son ended up with Beyer, an audiophile friend ended up with Grado.
The explanation is easy. The problem is that the geometry of our head and ears is unique and that means that the cans are not all pointing in the same direction. During my auditions, I pressed the headphones more tightly against my head, at the front, at the back, at the top, at the bottom. This way, all the auditioned models became “equal”. I wish that some company would develop headphones with adjustable driver incidence. Sometimes a paper shim between the headphone and the cushion is all that is needed to extend and smooth the response.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Phil Y
User

#9 Re: House sound?

Post by Phil Y »

Well, I got some Beyer DT 880s 250 ohm in the end.

I got to hear before purchase:
Sennheiser 599s and 660s
Meze 99 neo
AKG 550s
B&W P5

A pretty random selection but at least it gave me something to cross reference, against the reviews I was reading.
I was expecting to like Sennheisers but actually, the "soft" Sennheiser sound turned out to be too soft for me. The 660s certainly sounded better than the 599s but seemed similar in character over all and were anyway, far too expensive for me. The Meze were pretty horrible I thought, serious "boom & tizz".
AKG 550s sounded nice and clear but a little bass light and the B&W P5s were a bit bass heavy, uncomfortable and just generally mediocre sounding.

After hearing all these it was back to reading the reviews and the Beyers, although I had not heard them, sounded like the best bet so I took the plunge and ordered them. I have only had them a few days but I am happy with my choice. They just sound "right" to me. the reviews say they have a bit of a treble peak and I think they do but it is only apparent to me on certain recordings and not serious to my ear.
They are much more to my taste in general tone/presentation than any of the others I heard so I am fairly happy and presumably they will improve with use as well.

Regards, Phil.
chris661
Shed dweller

#10 Re: House sound?

Post by chris661 »

Can't go wrong with Beyer. I've used a lot of their mics.

Glad you're enjoying them.

Chris
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#11 Re: House sound?

Post by Ray P »

I'm a very satisfied user, over a couple of years (and over a couple of ears!), of BeyerDynamic DT-880 (600 ohm) headphones. Well balanced sound and very comfortable to wear.

I also really like my old Goldring DT-150 (32ohm) 'phones - a little more bass but a little less detail but still excellent.

They're both light years better than the fashion statement headphones and earbuds I've heard.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!