House sound?

For anything about cans, and the amplifiers that drive them
Phil Y
User

House sound?

Post by Phil Y » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:27 pm

I was considering getting some headphones for late night music & TV.
I have no significant experience with h-phones but have been doing a bit of looking.
I am very unlikely to be able to hear all the ones I might consider so my question is, do different makes tend to have a "house sound"?
The 3 that I've seen that might fit are AKG K702, Sennheiser HD 579 and Beyer DT880. These are all around the same price and are about what I was considering spending.

If I could not hear these exact models, would hearing another h-phone by the same make, the Beyer 770 say, give me an idea (combined with online reviews) of what I might get from the 880 or does the sound of different models vary as much as between the different makes?

Regards, Phil.

Greg
Shed dweller

Re: House sound?

Post by Greg » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:11 pm

Phil, sorry, can’t answer your question, but you are welcome to borrow my Sennheiser 650’s if it might help your research.

DSJR
User

Post by DSJR » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:40 pm

A bit long ago when I used to compare these or their predecessor headphones. Top open-back Sennheisers used to be slightly mellow and 'subtle' in balance (my ancient well travelled HD25SP's are anything but and I love 'em to pieces, this character something most of you wouldn't I suspect :D ) Beyers used to sparkle a bit, some too much and I'm not so sure about the middling AKG's from memory. we had a lovely 'Sound bar' with several headphone sets all connected so you could listen to many different models.

if you can accommodate them for comfort, don't ignore the mid price Grado's. I understand the lower two or three models differ only in possible selection during manufacture and the earpads/cushions used and my favourite was the £320 approx. model. Going up from this tended to bland the music out when I compared them just over a year ago and the £1200 ones sounded more 'ordinary' to me - some regard this ordinary quality as 'refinement' so make of this what you will, especially as I love rocking out with the '25's which aren't especially neutral.....

Phil Y
User

Post by Phil Y » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:38 am

Thanks for the offer Greg,
Yours are a good bit more expensive than I'm looking at, but if I come to the conclusion that there is a company sound, they may still be worth a listen. I'll bare it in mind.

DJSR,
Thanks for the info, Sennheiser, if more mellow may be to my taste.
I had seen the Grados but their reported lack of comfort put me off a bit. I don't generally find headphones easy to wear for long periods so was leaning toward ones with a reputation for comfort. Obviously I would still try a pair if I have a chance as their sound is reported to be good.

Phil.

Greg
Shed dweller

Post by Greg » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:21 am

No problem, Phil. HD650’s and other models and makes are often available second hand at a very good price. From a hygiene perspective, replacement ear foam and covers are available from Sennheiser for little cost. They can also be removed and washed.

chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:04 pm

If there are any audio/DJ/music shops nearby, they're usually happy to give you a demo.
FWIW, I tried out some Shure SRH840s in a shop and couldn't leave without them.

Chris

Phil Y
User

Post by Phil Y » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Hello Chris,

Shure was not a brand I had considered.
Thanks for the tip, I will have a look.

Phil.