My take on the 6EM7 SET amp

What people are working on at the moment
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

al newall wrote:.......or even copper topper. :lol:

sounds like a male hair piece :lol:
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

how about "orphean" (melodious !)

Looking through my Thesaurus,a lot of musical words have already been used on commercial equipment.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

how about "orphean" (melodious !)
Quite like that name. Perhaps I'll leave it to my Son to give the amp a name. After all after I've had my fun with it it will be his to keep. That is if he can prise it away from me!

Well last night with the help of NickG we managed to get music out of the power amp side using the volume control on my CD player. I was well impressed for the short time we had it running.

All didn't start off well though as on first fire up we blew the 1A fuse in spectacular fashion. :shock: It completely shattered the whole fuse to mirco bits of glass. It turned out I had the primary connections on the power TX wired up wrong to the mains switch :oops:

Now in my defensive here I did query the primary winding pin outs with our venerable host as AE had not marked the tapping figures on the TX. From the resistance readings I obtained it was suggested the following:

Pin 4 - 0V
Pin 3 - 220V
Pin 2 - 230V
Pin 1 - 240V

So armed with this I connected the mains switch to pins 4 and 2!

However on further checking last night by Nick it turned out the actual pin outs are:

Pin 4 - 240V
Pin 3 - 230V
Pin 2 - 220V
Pin 1 - 0V

So a quick wire change over to pins 1 and 3 soon had this sorted :wink:

So with valves a glowing Nick was getting some strange voltage readings. I'd cocked something else up. :oops: Turned out I missed a earth link wire between caps on the power supply. :oops: Well I never confessed I knew what I was doing!! Still it was easily fixed.

So now we had all voltages around the values they should be and Nick suggested we see if it makes music as a stand alone power amp.

Indeed it did but as the hour was getting late we only played one track from 'Rising Sand' CD through the MLTLs. I don't think lack of loudness and punch from this little beastie is going to be a problem :wink:

So armed with a set of sketches and instructions that Nick has left me last night I hope today to get the preamp side of things wired up, ready for Nick to come over again and re-check my efforts and sort any hum/earth issues if we have any.

So today I'm a happy bunny.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

I hope you're going to have this up and running in time to give it to me as a Birfday Pressie.

November the 3rd BTW :wink: :D

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

BTB Wrote
I hope you're going to have this up and running in time to give it to me as a Birfday Pressie.
In ya dreams sonny :wink:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Toppsy wrote: BTB Wrote
In ya dreams sonny :wink:
Awwwwww........Daddy! :lol:

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#22 Re: My take on the 6EM7 SET amp

Post by Toppsy »

Got a blast from the past late last week when Scott returned to me my little 6EM7 spud amp.
I had completely forgotten about this build until Scott mentioned he needed to return the amp to me.
It is showing a little wear, but my god I hadn't realised I built this some 11-years ago whilst my leg was in plaster after a bunch of wankers took me and the missus out on our Aprilia Capanord bike whist exiting a traffic island on the A6 (I think). Must say it sounds really good and to my surprise it even sound good on my new Edingdale GT speakers. I'm going to hook it up to my 12" coax MLTL speakers just to see how this combo sounds.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: My take on the 6EM7 SET amp

Post by IslandPink »

Excellent :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"