new dac

What people are working on at the moment
ed
retired

#1 new dac

Post by ed »

I'm looking at a Topping D30(absolute budget limit) or a hifiberry pro at the moment....

either one will fit because I'm thinking of introducing the 7" touch screen to the pi and trying to mimic an SB. I need to think of an alternative to the netbook which seems to be failing more regularly by the day....it's the only way to control LMS at the mo cos the boy is unwilling to let me use his tablet.

I'm favouring the hifiberry , simply because it's less power supply faff....but....

anybody got any thoughts?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2 Re: new dac

Post by Ray P »

Lots of RPi DAC options in your budget range at Audiophonics Ed.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/raspberr ... 0.html?p=4
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
ed
retired

#3 Re: new dac

Post by ed »

Ray P wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:17 am Lots of RPi DAC options in your budget range at Audiophonics Ed.

thanks Ray, although 'lots of options' is something I was trying to avoid.......It's an absolute minefield and the ability to make quick decisions is a thing of the past for me.....

all the various chips and clocking mechanisms on the pi hats has been amusing me in my search....and ultimately I think it's only of value as bragging rights to the boys arguing in the pub....I doubt the differences would improve my appreciation of the music....

the extra power supply consideration might be outweighed by the versatility of the Topping unit, which could be used in various scenarios here....I'm even condisering the E30 now....I'm my own worst enemy...oh waily waily
Max N
Old Hand

#4 Re: new dac

Post by Max N »

Hi Ed
I’m sure you’ve seen the dac measurements at audiosciencereview, but if not it might be worth a look. I know measurements alone don’t tell us how things sound, but they do at least give some indication that things are well engineered.
ed
retired

#5 Re: new dac

Post by ed »

thanks Max

yes, I did checkout the audiosciencereview. It was there that I came across the new Topping E30, and subsequent feedback on other sites. To me the extra £20 over the D30 represents a bit of future proofing....I could even use the Topping in the studio set-up as the current AH-Lite is getting a bit long in the tooth and it too is playing up like all my ageing kit.
Ray P

#6 Re: new dac

Post by Ray P »

ed wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:08 am
Ray P wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:17 am Lots of RPi DAC options in your budget range at Audiophonics Ed.

thanks Ray, although 'lots of options' is something I was trying to avoid.......
Whoops, sorry Ed, I didn't mean to add to your woes. :violent1:
ed
retired

#7 Re: new dac

Post by ed »

Oh wow!

just plugged the Topping E30 in this afternoon..
wow and more wow!!

I must be a bit slow to this hifi malarky, but I think I've discovered something....Dacs do make a difference.

I dug the F4 out of retirement about a week ago so I've re-familiarised myself to its virtues. It's getting a bit of a resurgence over on diyaudio as the word is going round that it's the most transparent thing since glass, and if you want to hear the sound of your pre-amp then it's the place to go etc etc etc...enough waffling

The E30 was a shock from the off. It was very bright, extremely bright, to the point where I didn't want to hear any more cymbals..forever...but it mellowed after only an hour...and I had an array of instruments that just snapped into focus right in front of me, in truth, the greatest clarity and seperation I've ever experienced.....

to prove what a cheapskate I really am:

Pi3(picoreplayer)
E30
F4
Markaudio/Monacor ribbon monitors

all up cost £300... best sound I've ever had.

I haven't done a lengthy clinical listen to a set up since the early days of getting into valves, but I had to with this arrival, so it was out with the favourite horrors:

Astral Weeks
Graceland
Rachmaninov PC2
So

there will be some Kings of convenience and television and Joni and Miles Davis and Sting and Buena Vista later.....and and and
I'm gushing...wow...got to stop now...

I will be mastering some of my stuff to DSD over the next few weeks so I may gush some more...maybe
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: new dac

Post by Cressy Snr »

Great stuff Ed! :D
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ray P

#9 Re: new dac

Post by Ray P »

Happy days Ed. :bounce:
Greg
Social outcast

#10 Re: new dac

Post by Greg »

Great you’re liking what you have discovered. I hope your enjoyment just keeps on going.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: new dac

Post by IslandPink »

Good choice of music, Ed.
ed wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:10 pm
I dug the F4 out of retirement about a week ago so I've re-familiarised myself to its virtues. It's getting a bit of a resurgence over on diyaudio as the word is going round that it's the most transparent thing since glass, and if you want to hear the sound of your pre-amp then it's the place to go etc etc etc...enough waffling
Better sell mine then !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

#12 Re: new dac

Post by Greg »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:27 pm Better sell mine then !
Or just listen and appreciate what transparent sound really is.
ed
retired

#13 Re: new dac

Post by ed »

there always has to be a trade off...it's that balance thing.

I got back from this morning's ride, into the shower, into the music room for half an hour of moosic and, and and and .....nowhere to plug the headphones....oh waily waily

the legacy Behringer dac had a 1/8 jack, not ideal, but it was sufficient for when the family are asleep. I suppose I'll have to put together a headphone amp and a phono switch......oh pooo!
ed
retired

#14 Re: new dac

Post by ed »

ed wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:25 am I got back from this morning's ride, into the shower, into the music room for half an hour of moosic and, and and and .....nowhere to plug the headphones....oh waily waily
thought I might give this a try..simple is best...it should pass the signal through to the power amp until the button is pressed.
fingers crossed...all up cost £11
se hpa.jpg