New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

What people are working on at the moment
steve s
Shed dweller

#151 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by steve s »

That's a shame steve, clean the valve pins with fine wet/dry, and check the soldering on the end of the pins..
If not I'll sort out another valve..
Keep me posted..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#152 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:05 pm That's a shame steve, clean the valve pins with fine wet/dry, and check the soldering on the end of the pins..
If not I'll sort out another valve..
Keep me posted..
Cheers Steve. I’ll have a look later on.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#153 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

Cressy Snr wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:23 pm Traced fault to an intermittent centre pin (cathode) which is why the fault moves with the valve.
Suspect that wire inside pin could be broken and is making intermittent contact. I had this on an old GZ37 once. But it’s impossible to be sure.

There’s no way I’m touching anything on the valve, it’s too old and too valuable to be messing with.
You can resolder from pin don’t need to lose vacuum.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#154 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

No joy with the dodgy valve, so a new one is on its way. Thanks Steve. :) Should have the new valve tomorrow.

Meanwhile I’ve moved the anode chokes to more suitable points, close to each valve socket. This move has put the anode chokes 5in apart, so hopefully they’ll be less inclined to interfere with each other. The price of moving the chokes, is that there are four more machine-screw heads visible on the top-plate. But form has to follow function, so I’ll live with it. With hindsight, the scheme below is how I should have positioned the chokes in the first place, and damn the nit-picking about the cosmetics on the outside
378FE0DE-EAA7-4AFB-900E-A26B111CAEB6.jpeg
4C5444AC-F69A-43EE-95DA-43186BD8055F.jpeg
steve s
Shed dweller

#155 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by steve s »

I spent an hour listening to another tested mh4 valve, to make sure all was well, on my p650/ mh4 amp, the output transformers must be better than my others, as whatever amp they are on always sounds good, but this combo is exceptional.
It has a slight hum due to being crammed into a small chassis (surely not bad workmanship..?) , but a small price to pay.
Hope Steve is happy..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#156 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

Got a phone call off my contact around 12:15

“Meet outside row of shops just beyond Warmsworth Crossroads 1:00, make sure you’ve got the goods and don’t be late”

Thought I’d better do as he said; he’s a stickler for punctuality and can get a bit handy if he thinks he’s being taken for a mug. These radio restorer types are not to be messed with. So arrived at the drop zone 12:59, broad daylight, mobile phone in one hand, plain white box in the other; one for one swap. Dud for working.

Another phone call at 1:15. Contact going to be a bit late. That was an understatement. The guy was on the M18 in a four mile queue and ETA was 2:15. Anyway took executive decision and changed the drop zone location to the top of the the northbound A1 offramp, Warmsworth, right hand lane. Exchange would take place through van window, quick as a flash here today gone tomorrow. Whoosh!

Exchange went without a hitch, one white box through van window to him and one polythene bagged bubble wrapped package out of van window to me, nods exchanged and he was gone, leaving me to walk back to Warmsworth crossroads and the safety of my car, package stowed in my pocket.

“Stand still! Put your hands where I can see ‘em chummy” You look a bit nervous mate, don’t fiddle in your trousers, just
put your hands behind your back pal and I’m just going to cuff you. OK”

“Not got anything sharp in your pockets before we pat you down have you.”

“So at the moment you are being being arrested on suspicion of being in possession with intent to supply class A drugs. You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you fail to mention when questioned, something you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. Do you understand what you’ve just been told chap?”

I bloody understood alright. I was right in it!

Much to the amusement of a group of baseball capped teenagers, on BMXs I was placed next to the patrol car whilst one cop searched my pockets and the other did a PNC check to see if I had any previous for drugs and of course out came the package.

“Careful with that” I exclaimed, it’s MH4 “it’s a valuable item“

“I bet it is sunshine” said the cop who was still searching me, with that expert, sneering sarcasm, that seems to be the exclusive province of traffic cops and secondary school maths teachers.

“Em...Aitch...Four” drawled the cop; rolling the phrase around on his tongue as if he was trying to make the meaning clearer. “That’s a new one on me.” “In’t that ammonia?” “Can’t see there being much of a market for that.”

“Nah...ammonia, that’s ‘em...aitch..3 Spike!” “Didn’t you pay attention in Chemistry at school then?”
“Alright sarge, no need to get all hoity toity is there”, laughed the cop wearing the blue latex gloves.

“You’re a bit nervous about this package aren’t you?” sneered PC blue latex; the cop who’d searched almost every orifice I had and some I didn’t know about, as I stood there cuffed, wincing and cringing at every snap and twang of the tape wrapped around the valve. Finally he stopped pulling and what was in the package was revealed.

“What’s this then?” asked PC latex gloves.

“It’s an MH4 radio valve from the days when radios had valves in them, but I wouldn’t expect you to know anything about them.” I said

“Got a right comedian ‘ere sarge” said PC latex.

“Look sergeant, I pleaded, ignoring the sneering constable; all it is is a part from a 1930s radio, very hard to come by these days, they’re modern antiques, Theres nothing sinister about it. I build electronics with these old devices and restore vintage radio receivers, and my mate from Hull was late enough as it was, so I suggested that the quickest way to get him back on his way was to exchange at the top of the motorway offramp”

“Maybe we should take it to the station and dismantle it sarge. Looks dodgy. I don’t believe a word of it” said PC latex, as my stomach hit the underside of the top of my skull, and my legs began to give way. “Maybe they transport the stuff in these instead of Kinder Egg canisters”

Nah..I think he’s kosher Spike”, said the far more sensible in my opinion, sergeant. Bit nerdy but he’s harmless. I think we can safely de-arrest him.

The cuffs came off and the sergeant did the de-arrest procedure.

“A word of advice sir,” said the sergeant as PC latex screwed his gloves up in disgust. You don’t trade anything out of van windows, at the tops of slip roads off motorways. “Use a bit of common sense in future.” “Have a nice day”

And with that, they drove off up Warmsworth drag pissing themselves laughing.

I didn't share their sense of humour.

This bloody valve had better work after all that.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JamesD
Old Hand

#157 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by JamesD »

Gosh Steve!

Wonderful story and I really hope the MH4 is OK!

The things we do for Valve audio...

HAs your heat rate settled down yet?
Paul Barker

#158 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

Me and Darren exchanged 45’s in a services car park. Good job we weren’t arrested. “whats in here?”...” a 45!”
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#159 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

:D The bit about Steve being unavoidably, 2 hours late because of a five mile tailback onto the M18, and us exchanging packages at the top of the A1 northbound exit ramp as Steve waited to enter the roundabout, at Warmsworth is true. The cops thinking they’d busted a drug drop is a bit of artistic licence. :lol: :lol:

The replacement valve works perfectly and I’m currently enjoying some great, hum-free sounds:
D08EF01F-E657-4C35-9F8E-A7B3D12D5F03.jpeg
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#160 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Ray P »

Can't be very good if you can't hum along! :roll:

I think you just need to get a 1960's television set to complete the retro illusion.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#161 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

Ray P wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 pm ...I think you just need to get a 1960's television set to complete the retro illusion.
When it comes to DIY audio styling, I love that late ‘50s/early ‘60s, mid-century aesthetic.

I’m loving the sound of this amp. All I can say, is you’ve not heard what SE Ultralinear KT120s can do, until you’ve driven them with choke loaded, old 4V, British, small signal valves. Beautiful.

I’m pleased with the whole concept, from our Ant’s minimalist, but stylish hardwood surround, to the layout above and under the top plate, to the sound.

I’ve not done this for a while, but here is a glow shot:
AC3FE2A5-0FF3-4D20-BE7A-1986B0E71558.jpeg
Paul Barker

#162 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

Me and sister Christine used to turn telly on and watch the valves glow. Well, first time we discovered it, Christine said “Paul, come and watch this”. Life was all discovery back then, about the same time as it dawned when you hide behind the curtains youre parents know youre there.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#163 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Ray P »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:44 pm [I’m pleased with the whole concept, from our Ant’s minimalist, but stylish hardwood surround, to the layout above and under the top plate, to the sound.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#164 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by izzy wizzy »

Lovely job Steve and glad the sounds are good.
steve s
Shed dweller

#165 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by steve s »

I'm pleased all went well... they are nice old valves.
It was a long afternoon !