Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

What people are working on at the moment
Ant
Shed dweller

#1 Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

I found a dual motor i bought and promptly forgot about. I also completely ignored everyone who suggested getting a mission 774, and bought an airprodigy linear tracking arm. The arm is being built for me at the moment so i don't have it yet. but i'm rather excited to try it.
The power supply and controls are going in a separate box as the dual is supposed to be one of the quietest motors it's possible to get hold of, so why spoil it by having a transformer in the plinth with it.

This is where we are up to so far

ImageEds1000 airprodigy build by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

the missus says it looks like an eye....

the veneer is oak, the plinth is made up of layers of mdf (top and bottom) high density chipboard and ply to get a nice dead structure. same as usual for me

the trim ring is mdf too and will be painted, probably matte black. and will be a pig to get a decent finish on, but hey ho...

The arm will be on a board in the cutout area, no through hole at the moment because the arm doesn't need one. I could however, fit a 12" arm on the plinth as i made it big enough, so would put a through hole in it at that point. it would support anything from a rega pattern upwards, not a linn pattern though they are too short.
quite why i'd want to is another matter, my time with nigels terminator arm tells me the airprodigy is not likely to be taken off....

next job will be to machine an arm board out of a lump of afromosia timber, the put together a box for the psu.

to be continued
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
JamesD
Old Hand

#2 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by JamesD »

Looking good - as usual...

I have a Dual 701 with the eds 1000 motor in the store but never got around to building a plinth for it. It's a really, really good turntable motor so looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Hopefully it will inspire me to get off my resting spot and build something...
Greg
Social outcast

#3 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Greg »

Looks good but personally, I think the overall shape of the plinth demands a much better shape to the trim ring. It’s so boring compared to it’s surround. The overall design is fresh and dynamic with a good platter motor. Don’t spoil it. Be more inventive with the trim ring. Thereafter, I’m sure I’ll love it. :thumbright:
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#4 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ray P »

Nice Ant.

As we've picked up on the RC model elevator/tailplane structure in Colin's Quasar build thread, can I ask if that's Hood, Bismarck and maybe Warspite next to the new plinth? They look like 1:700 scale?

Trumpeter make a fantastic 1:200 scale kit of HMS Hood - wouldn't mind it as a project but would prefer a 1906 HMS Dreadnought - you can get a 1:350 scale kit but 1:200 would be so much nicer!
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ant
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

Yep, hood Bismarck and warspite. Had to have the model of warspite when I saw it
I keep looking for models of rammiles and repulse but they do start to get rather expensive if you go much bigger scale.
I also want a model of a senna mclaren mp4/4 too...
The model of the Vulcan had to be moved to make way for the plinth
I'll have a think about the trim

Ray P

#6 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ray P »

Airfix have got a new model of the Vulcan due out this year - new tooling, not a re-issue;

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/avro-vulcan-b-2.html
Ant
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

Got a bit more done

Trim has been painted satin black, I haven't made another trim piece yet as I haven't got any pieces of sheet material big enough hanging around, but I have an idea for another trim piece that follows a cue from the plinth itsself. I'll make another one when I can get some more materials in.

I've treated the oak with some teak oil just to darken it a bit and pull the grain out, I haven't used a finishing wax on it this time as I kinda like the matte finish that the straight teak oil has given on the veneer. It seems to fit with the satin black finish on the trim

The multipin plug and socket arrived today, nice and chunky, I picked this one because it has a mounting flange rather than a nut, its neater to use as it screws straight on rather than faffing about making a plate for it

Managed to get a really nice finish on the current trim piece which I was surprised at, really its been too hot to spray properly today, i was expecting the paint to craze, but the primer actually took really well. Also polished the platter up. another job ticked off the list. shame its still stood on its spray can lid legs, hopefully the real ones will show up soon.....

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by pre65 »

The trim ring looks good in black. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#9 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

Arm board is done, nice and simple. The rebate it sits in is 18mm deep and the hardwood base layer of the board is 20mm. The acrylic top surface is 3mm to give a 5mm height over the main plinth, based on the dimensions of the arm.

I'm trying to keep a clean, unfussy look to the build and keep an 'overall' look rather than having details that stick out. We'll see wether that works when the arm is on it

Ant
Shed dweller

#10 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

got the psu done today, so the deck itsself is complete apart from some minor things.
I hadn't got any oak left for a case, and the only stuff I did have with a similar tone to the oak was an offcut of olivewood left over from a chassis build i did for someone about a month back. not enough for a full case, so I bought cheap case of ebay to cannibalise

The case was only 13 quid, not shown is a nasty bit of ally for the front, but that was not a problem as I didn't intend using it anyway.

I cut and shaped the olivewood to replace the front and back, and the brackets as it sits inside the 2 parts of the case, like this.

abit of paint, some cutting, filing and bleeding, and we have a psu case

as you can see, the original adjustment knobs are too small so they will get changed for some new ones, and i had to bodge a part of the original bracketry to use to select 33 or 45 rpm, because i haven't got a control knob that will fit on the very short shaft of the original switch. i might just turn up a set of matching controls for it as the adjustment pot shafts are 4mm anyway. then it should look ok.

It doesn't match the deck, but it works perfectly and it'll be tucked out of the way anyway so it doesn't matter too much. the deck is the bit to look at anyway.

need to re polish the platter again though.... cant wait for the arm to be finished.
onwards!

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#11 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by simon »

Nice bit of olive Ant. It has a striking fragrance - has the finish "encapsulated" it?
Ant
Shed dweller

#12 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ant »

It's just sanded I haven't applied a finish to it, it certainly has an aroma to it when you cut it
I like olive wood because it machines really nicely, I'm not too fussed on the looks, it can be abit gaudy when there's loads of figuring it but this bit is OK

steve s
Shed dweller

#13 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by steve s »

Lovely job Ant.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#14 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by simon »

Gosh I really thought you'd applied a varnish or similar, not that I've ever sanded olive wood so don't know what it looks like unfinished.
Ray P

#15 Re: Dual EDS 1000 and airprodigy linear arm build

Post by Ray P »

Super job Ant. I think some knobs machined from a plain-grained darker wood would complement the olive well.

I need to come up with a front panel for my 13E1 project so I might see if I can find a piece of olive (or similar) to suit - any tips on where I might get something?