Post by IslandPink »

cv - forum member.
Spoke to him on the phone this evening.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
steve s
Shed dweller

#32 Re: Mofo

Post by steve s »

IslandPink wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:43 pm cv - forum member.
Spoke to him on the phone this evening.
Well I did not link it.. I'm sure Chris wont have taken offence.. .
The context I used was clearly not pointed at any person anyway
I feel you have made too much out of it mark
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#33 Re: Mofo

Post by IslandPink »

Oh come on Steve, it was just a light-hearted quip .
steve s
Shed dweller

#34 Re: Mofo

Post by steve s »

IslandPink wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:04 am Oh come on Steve, it was just a light-hearted quip .
There wasn't many clues to you being lighthearted mark.. I'll blame my sense of humor 😀
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#35 Re: Mofo

Post by IslandPink »

Sorry, I did put an emoji on the end !
There's no way you would have said something like that seriously - it was just me picking up on a funny coincidence of words.
steve s
Shed dweller

#36 Re: Mofo

Post by steve s »

Ahhh. Not realised the 'shock' mojo is a funny one..
No problem mark..
steve s
Shed dweller

#37 Re: Mofo

Post by steve s »

I've had it on all last night and this morning trying to pic holes in it.. just seems to be getting better..
Unlike many of you, i can't leave it on a board with the grandkids (when they come eventually come)
I built a chassis a few weeks ago im going to spend this afternoon wondering how i can get enough ventilation inside of it.. everything else will fit ,I built it to take 2 power supplys for a valve amp.
Drilling holes in the steel top is unlikely to look neat unless I do it on the milling machine. I may mill slots.. not sure

I've ordered some more mosfets I'm going to build on the pins and a small stripboard about an inch sq. Output caps will have plenty of room then, they will be at least 3x bypassed.
I've a plan ..
steve s
Shed dweller

#38 Re: Mofo

Post by steve s »

And a pic..
The crackling was due to the 1930s valve bases not been cleaned enough
School boy error..
20200520_123514_copy_768x1024.jpg
steve s
Shed dweller

#39 Re: Mofo

Post by steve s »

At least it will be able to breathe now.
20200520_214925_copy_768x1024.jpg
20200520_214953_copy_1024x768.jpg
The front top plate needs drilling, painting and fitting properly, hopefully on Friday
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#40 Re: Mofo

Post by IslandPink »

I looked through the thread and couldn't find a circuit on this. Interested ...
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#41 Re: Mofo

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 am I looked through the thread and couldn't find a circuit on this. Interested ...
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-la ... -mofo.html

http://blog.audiomaker.tech/download/build-this-mofo/

Those links are for the MoFo element only - Steve's driver stage is his own circuit and I don't think he's put out a schematic?
Last edited by Ray P on Thu May 21, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#42 Re: Mofo

Post by Ray P »

Steve, if of interest, I planned to use the single-rail version of this power supply, by all accounts a significant step up from the brick power supplies mentioned in the original article.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-b ... ly-gb.html

I know Wolfgang was very impressed with them in his upside-down OTL project.

I bought a couple of the single rail and dual rail PCBs and they're nice quality - kept them back for future projects.
steve s
Shed dweller

#43 Re: Mofo

Post by steve s »

Thanks ray, Mike has reported similar improvements with power supplies, I'll look into them, I'm using a fair bit of capacitance after the 'bricks', I measured the ripple and it seemed lowish, but I can't remember what is was, i'll check again.
I'm sure there's room in the chassis to fit my own build supplies, I've been thinking about it since Mike pm'd just after I bought the boards from you.
The new build will be a second amp. so I have 2 amps to compare any changes, I was thinking more about driver stages and then power supplies, but there's plenty of scope and lots to focus on, to wring the best out of this buffer

Again thanks for the advice.

Cheers
ed
retired

#44 Re: Mofo

Post by ed »

fwiw I used split supplies for mine. A meanwell for the mofo output stage and a very heavily capped crc for the driver stage. It was adequate....but I'm sure Rolls Royce always thought there was room for improvement.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P

#45 Re: Mofo

Post by Ray P »

No problem Steve, it's good to see the progress you've made and you're clearly pleased with the results.

One interesting aspect of the power supplies I linked to is that they used switched mosfet rectification instead of conventional rectifiers - gets good reports.