Super Rocky

What people are working on at the moment
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#61 Re: Super Rocky

Post by Cressy Snr »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:45 pm
I have it running El34s at the moment to good effect.
Well I had to do it, just to satisfy my curiosity, so I tried the Decware, Hazey Jane grid mod with a 0.1uF Orange Drop cap between pin 1 and pin 8 instead of a straight wire. I’m damned if I can hear what it’s supposed to do. Maybe I’m not; never have been, an audiophile. :cry: :cry:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#62 Re: Super Rocky

Post by izzy wizzy »

For the dummies at the back, what is that meant to do?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#63 Re: Super Rocky

Post by Cressy Snr »

Google Hazen grid mod, or look here
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... zen#p38344
Nick
Site Admin

#64 Re: Super Rocky

Post by Nick »

Not sure what if anything the suppressor grid is doing when the valve is wired as a triode. Its not as if the anode can drop below g2.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#65 Re: Super Rocky

Post by Cressy Snr »

Had a bit more time to listen to the amp with the cap installed between suppressor grid and cathode. There may be some AC tomfoolery going on here, ie I seem to have a nice pleasant distortion generator, something like the WE harmonic equalizer?

It’s an interesting and certainly not an unpleasant effect, but I’m damned if I can describe it apart from it being ‘big‘ sounding. Whether it’s hi-fi is debatable.
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

#66 Re: Super Rocky

Post by Nick »

but I’m damned if I can describe it apart from it being ‘big‘ sounding. Whether it’s hi-fi is debatable.
In my experience thats a good description of a lot of Decware amps.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#67 Re: Super Rocky

Post by Cressy Snr »

As usual, I’m ten years behind the curve on this distortion generating business. Are folks still doing the harmonic equalizer thing or has its time passed.
Nick
Site Admin

#68 Re: Super Rocky

Post by Nick »

Not sure the equaliser was about distortion generation just moving it about a bit.
steve s
Shed dweller

#69 Re: Super Rocky

Post by steve s »

Interesting find Steve. Goes to show everything that glitters.. and all that
I've always built straight forward traditional amps when it comes to coupling & valve operation.I've yet to have it proved there's a better way.. yet ?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#70 Re: Super Rocky

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nick wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:19 am Not sure the equaliser was about distortion generation just moving it about a bit.
Ah... :)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#71 Re: Super Rocky

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:37 am Interesting find Steve. Goes to show everything that glitters.. and all that
Decware owners seem to love it. It’s probably a cult thing, like the Linn/Naim/Flat Earth was.
I can sort of see why they like it. Whether it’s viable, long term for me is another matter entirely.

As for the sound: think of being back in the early 60s, the smell of a roast beef Sunday dinner cooking. You’re sitting facing four big radiograms. Family Favourites is on, and the radiograms are all playing Nat King Cole, singing ‘The Very Thought Of You’ with the Gordon Jenkins Orchestra and you’ve got the general idea.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#72 Re: Super Rocky

Post by Cressy Snr »

Schematics below:
D2F44AF1-1615-4E10-BDFD-6E92DA054B87.jpeg
77C7CE92-00F4-4020-8C96-D49D760AF77D.jpeg
Dead simple, two power supplies and a simple audio circuit. Pretty :sleepy2: really but it’s surprising what you can get out of a back-to-basics approach, but we know that already don’t we :wink:
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#73 Re: Super Rocky

Post by Cressy Snr »

Got bored with the Hazen grid mod. I gave it a fair hearing, but it’s a coloration; present on everything you play and has a homogenising sepia tone effect on the music. Annoying in the end...it’s not real.
steve s
Shed dweller

#74 Re: Super Rocky

Post by steve s »

Hi Steve looking at your schematic your not showing any series resisters. The ez81 should have 2x 230ish ohms inc the transformer windings.. Of course you may have that in the windings.. If so forget my comments
Cheers
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#75 Re: Super Rocky

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:49 pm Hi Steve looking at your schematic your not showing any series resisters. The ez81 should have 2x 230ish ohms inc the transformer windings.. Of course you may have that in the windings.. If so forget my comments
Cheers
Hi Steve, both power supplies are choke input. The limiting resistors aren’t mentioned for either the GZ37 or the EZ81, when they are used with choke input filters.