Post by Ali Tait »

:D
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#453 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

OK,
The frame is now well under way:
Internal dimensions are 500 x 250 x 65mm, so it's a big bugger. I've kept the frame as slim as possible, to try and minimise the visual bulk.

Fair bit of work to do yet, ie. holes to drill for volume controls, input selector, power and HT switches on the front plus mains gubbins, input and speaker sockets on the back, but at last we seem to be getting somewhere.
Peripheral supports for top and bottom plates are glued, with temporary pins providing the clamping pressure.

Once all the holes are in, the frame will be veneered and oiled in the same walnut finish as the Fane speakers.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#454 Re: Remember These?

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#455 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

A week on and the frame is drilled to take volume, selector, switches, sockets etc.

I've gone all Arts and Crafts movement for the frame and am using only hand tools, so no jigsaws, power drills or routers. I'm using, hand drill, carpenter's brace, coping saw, block plane, bench plane, mallet and chisel to drill, cut, trim and shape openings. This is why it's taking so long, but is extremely satisfying, and you get to experience the true feel of the tools and material together.

Frame has been grey primed and is ready for the walnut veneer. Once the frame has been oiled, the hardware can be mounted and the selector switch and L/R mono volume pots wired in. I haven't even thought about the top plate yet, but that is not in the Arts and Crafts remit; it's power tools all day long with that apart from hand files :D
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#456 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Frame is veneered, varnished with 4 coats of acrylic satin finish and painted black inside. All coatings are water based.
Tomorrow, the source, switching, input sockets, L/R volume pots will be mounted and wired in place.
Mains switch, HT switch, indicator light, cable entry gland and mains fuse holder are also in the schedule.

After that, I can start on the top plate drilling.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#457 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

All the input/output/mains/control stuff is mounted to the frame:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#458 Re: Remember These?

Post by simon »

I can't quite tell from the photo Steve, is that metal inside the wooden frame, or more wood? Looks to have been rebated?

Looking good!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#459 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

simon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:05 pm I can't quite tell from the photo Steve, is that metal inside the wooden frame, or more wood? Looks to have been rebated?

Looking good!
Hi Simon, the frame is all wood. Corners are strengthened with 1" quadrant beading and the 'rebates' are actually 3/8" square ramin strips glued around both top and bottom inside edges. These are slightly inset, so that when the top and bottom plates are fitted, the plates should finish up flush.

Input sockets are on a perforated steel plate, acting as an extra air vent, whilst the controls, light and switches on the front panel are rear mounted onto solid, stainless steel plates, screwed to the frame from the rear.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#460 Re: Remember These?

Post by Ray P »

I like your style Steve...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#461 Re: Remember These?

Post by IslandPink »

It really is jolly good. There's a lot of work in that.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#462 Re: Remember These?

Post by simon »

Thanks Steve, makes perfect sense now.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#463 Re: Remember These?

Post by simon »

Are you going to use ally plate, and are you going to do your usual spray job? I'm sure you've told me before but what do you use? Does it need an etch primer first? Never done it but might fir the GM70 build.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#464 Re: Remember These?

Post by Cressy Snr »

simon wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 pm Are you going to use ally plate, and are you going to do your usual spray job? I'm sure you've told me before but what do you use? Does it need an etch primer first? Never done it but might fir the GM70 build.
Thanks chaps. Yes there is a lot of work in making a chassis frame with only hand tools, but it is satisfying, if you aren't in a hurry. :)

@Simon, Yep because of the weight of the 1KVA mains toroid, I'm using ally checkerplate for the top plate. This will be etch-primed, and sprayed matt black once all the holes have been made for cap clamps, chokes, valve sockets etc.
All fixing screws will be hidden by a second smooth ally plate over the checkerplate to give a cleaner appearance. Smooth plate will be etch-primed then sprayed with the finish colour (rose gold metallic under satin clear lacquer.

A lot to do before I get music.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#465 Re: Remember These?

Post by simon »

Thanks. Can you recommend any specific paint/primer products?