The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

What people are working on at the moment
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#226 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by Cressy Snr »

I had one, I'm sure Steve S has it now. It was part of a job lot I sold him a couple of years ago.
Perhaps a PM to him?
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#227 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by izzy wizzy »

Mike H wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:43 pm I'm not surprised TBH. I thought they were already unobtainium. I'm guessing Langrex want silly money for the one they've got?
Goes to show how much attention I've been paying. They don't want silly money so I bought it. They have loads of valves that aren't sorted or catalogued. It's where I bought the original 4 about 10 years ago and I could swear for the same price.

If I can't get any more, I'll have to adapt. Maybe consider 4P1L or 6V6 both triode strapped. Can't find much info yet on triode strapped 47.

Cheers,
Stephen
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#228 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by izzy wizzy »

The 46 arrived, plugged it in, let it warm up for a while. Turned the amp on and only a tiny buzz. Got a bit excited then had a closer look and no filament glowing. Oh dear. Maybe that's why they had one left.

It's weird how a live 46 makes it hum yet a dead one doesn't.

Anyway, the 46 may be a dead end for now so bought 10 4P1L of ebay. It has a good rep so let's hope so.

I could get the amps going with 12B4s just for fun as I got loads of them in the shed.

Cheers,
Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#229 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by IslandPink »

It won't help that Thomas Mayer seems to have been burning through the world's supplies of 46's in his recent builds !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#230 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by izzy wizzy »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:10 pm It won't help that Thomas Mayer seems to have been burning through the world's supplies of 46's in his recent builds !
That had occured to me plus a valve supplier he recommended to me in the past don't have any. If I could get 5 more working ones I might be set for a very long time.

Anyone have ideas where a decent place to loctal sockts from?

Cheers,
Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#231 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by IslandPink »

1. can you use 45's instead ? ( although it would be a case of accumulating a few and selecting )
2. I can't remember exactly where I got my loctal sockets, they are the teflon ones with silver-plated contacts , but it was either crowthorne or billington in the UK.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#232 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by izzy wizzy »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:46 pm 1. can you use 45's instead ? ( although it would be a case of accumulating a few and selecting )
2. I can't remember exactly where I got my loctal sockets, they are the teflon ones with silver-plated contacts , but it was either crowthorne or billington in the UK.
I used 46s coz the reports were they were as good as 45s some say better some say not as good. Give or take a bit of hyperbole. 46s are cheap relatively if you can get them as they don't have the 45 rep. From what I can see, 45s go for a lot of money and I can't do that. Plus 45s have a mu of 3.5, 46s 5.6 which is not hugely different but 4P1Ls are 10 and are cheap and seem to have a good rep for sound. System gain is about right with the 46s. I could be going down the same path with 45s as 46s but for more cost.

I'll try those for loctals, thanks.

Cheers,
Stephen
steve s
Shed dweller

#233 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by steve s »

I have a couple of 46 valves left and a bag of loctal bases somewhere... I'll dig them out for Owston if theres interest ?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#234 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by izzy wizzy »

steve s wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:58 pm I have a couple of 46 valves left and a bag of loctal bases somewhere... I'll dig them out for Owston if theres interest ?
Thanks for the offer Steve. I 'spose by then, I'll have made my mind up whether the amp is 46-813 or 4P1L-813 :)

Depends on how my hunting for 46s go and how the 4P1L stacks up in comparison.

Cheers,
Stephen
Last edited by izzy wizzy on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve s
Shed dweller

#235 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by steve s »

That's fine.. just pm beforehand and I'll bring them
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#236 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by IslandPink »

But get some 4P1L's anyway, Stephen. They are currently still plentiful, but I have very much enjoyed them as pentode drivers for 300B and GK-71, and I notice Mick Maloney ( Supratek ) has moved over to them in some of his pre-amps, he was very impressed. I think I will order a another pack of 8 or 10 myself soon.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#237 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by izzy wizzy »

IslandPink wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:39 pm But get some 4P1L's anyway, Stephen. They are currently still plentiful, but I have very much enjoyed them as pentode drivers for 300B and GK-71, and I notice Mick Maloney ( Supratek ) has moved over to them in some of his pre-amps, he was very impressed. I think I will order a another pack of 8 or 10 myself soon.
I ordered 10 4P1L 2 days ago which arrive near the end of the month and the loctal sockets soonish. I've not heard a bad thing about them and only praise by people who have much experience of some exotic DHTs. This being my first DH amp, it will be interesting to try the 12B4 for a bit before the 4P1L arrive.
steve s
Shed dweller

#238 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by steve s »

I suppose I use exotic dht's but would not consider using anything Russian going by what Russian valves I've heard...
but I'd love to have my mind changed😉... maybe at Owston!
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#239 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by Ray P »

It's not Russion in origin but a WW2 copy of a German Wehrmacht transmitter valve.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#240 Re: The Nemesis 813 PP Amplifier

Post by izzy wizzy »

Ray P wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:11 am It's not Russion in origin but a WW2 copy of a German Wehrmacht transmitter valve.
Ooooh, I'll have an all DHP transmitter valve amp :)