yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

What people are working on at the moment
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#31 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ray P »

As the last few posts have been about tonearms, although I'm not into vinyl, I've been following this thread with fascination;

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogu ... e-arm.html

I wish I had the sort of skills that enable you to undertake such a project.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
gninnam
Old Hand

#32 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by gninnam »

That arm is an impressive structure and if it sounds as could as it looks and also the description as to how it works it should be brilliant.
Would not even attempt to DIY the arm and I think the retail price if it ever went to market would be well out of my league!!
DSJR
User

#33 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by DSJR »

With audiophile margins at ten times (or more) the build costs, it would be astronomical price. I mean, look at the already expensive SME price hikes since their take-over and subsequent appointment of extra distributors (I think) and also AVI the same with their dinky active speakers now they're back in some dealers and with a distributor in China.
Lee S
Old Hand

#34 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Lee S »

You've done an amazing job on that TT Ant. Well done. I may be wanting my G88 doing sometime in the near future and I love what you've done with this one.

As an aside, I used to run a large Gray arm with a 103 in it. Worked really well and sounded fab. Sold it a while ago though, unfortunately. Might invest in one of Karmadon's Gray clones and see what it's like. Looks like a really fantastic replica for sane money.
©2020 Lee
Ant
Shed dweller

#35 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

well this is the 88 i did just before this one, has an origin live something or other arm on it

ImageReal g88 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

ImageReal g88 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

pretty deep as it had a long bearing in it. where i got the idea to do this one from. the 301 behind it has the same spec plinth but still isnt finished.....
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#36 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by IslandPink »

That looks like an expensive arm .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#37 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

No idea it wasn't mine, as per usual I was building things I cant afford myself........

Shaman
User

#38 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Shaman »

The arm is an Origin Live Silver.
I got Ant to replinth the G88 as the plinth it came in wasn't up to much.
The arm has an Audio Note IQ3 and sounds really good.
As usual Ant did a cracking job.
Ant
Shed dweller

#39 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

well the Lenco is off with Paul tomorrow, fitted it with his Audio Technica atp-12t arm and a Denon dl103 for him. A nice combination

ImageDSC_1089 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

also got the Nigels g99 with its Karmadon arm finished, there is one job left to do on it which is to sort out the reflector for the strobe light which doesn't reflect any more. I have a cunning plan to sort this.

I've not added any damping fluid though as it will end up everywhere when its transported so ive listened to it without any damping. in my experience adding damping fluid is a matter of taste as it is. it sounds very good as it is. It has a high output Dynavector DV20xx2 in it, so i haven't used the additional headshell weight that the arm comes with.

mark, just buy one of these arms. it is very good, i can see why 103 and lenco users and like them

the dynavector is superb and i want one. i have always liked dynavectors and this one is lovely.

ImageG99 and karmadon by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

the plinth is veneered in walnut and then waxed with no stain or anything applied so that the tone is kept light to contrast with the dark arm and deck. opposite to the 88 which contrasts the other way with the light cream deck

ImageDSC_1090 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

Ant
Shed dweller

#40 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

took this pic the other day while i was working on finishing the 99 and the arm swap for paul, 3 variations of the same theme, factory, slightly modded and very modded

ImageDSC_1086 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

Ant
Shed dweller

#41 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

found a 12" karmadon arm for sale on ebay, if i could justify another arm i'd snap his hand off

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tonearm-12-V ... :rk:2:pf:0

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#42 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by IslandPink »

Cor ! Oooooh ... Hmmmm
Makes sense but I'm hesitating only because I can see more 'jobs' there to do. Wiring is basic. How would you fine-adjust VTF , I like the sliding collar the Mayware has on the wand.
One to mull over for a few hours or overnight :)
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#43 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

Wiring is cardas and needs a pair of sockets and an earth post, vta is altered with the usual setscrew in the base, the arm pillar just slides up and down
Damping is fine tuned by screwing the top screw in and out which lowers or raises the half sphere inside the housing into the damping fluid in the cup.
Vtf is just moving the counterweight, and azimuth by rotating the counterweight.

Its dead simple, only extra bit to do is to solder the wiring to sockets

Ant
Shed dweller

#44 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

built another one

ImageGl75 g88 mod by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

bit of wiring needs doing, switch is a minature toggle this time. Decided on using the 3009 with it once id mocked up the other arms ive got on it. the mayware f4 and the audiomods classic didn't look right, the acos lustre gst1 did, but was abit heavy for the ortofon sl15 i intend to put on it, the 3009 fit the bill. tbh i havent ever really heard a 3009 either so that should be interesting

updated it in the same way i did the earlier one savvypaul had off me when he had the big plinth done for it,which was to include a fully damped chassis plate using bitumen pads on the underside

doesnt have the audiosilente idler wheel that pauls now has though.
the arm needs a rewire as one of the ground wires has a break in it somewhere, that can wait until the rest of the deck is complete. Intention is to stick the ortofon sl15 ell moving coil on it.

onward!

Ant
Shed dweller

#45 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

done

sounds very very smooth and is very quiet in terms of noise. Cart in it the ortofon sl15 ell

the 3009 has been rewired and rebuilt, and a phono socket conversion made, only thing is that I couldn't use the screening can but it isn't picking up any hum anyway so it doesn't matter. It's been rewired with copper litz from scientific wire company which is my favoured stuff at the moment.

just need to re set the arm board position and touch in a bit of paint where i knocked it