Transcendent Mini Beast Build

What people are working on at the moment
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#31 Re: Transcendent Mini Beast Build

Post by Ali Tait »

Save up for the Pinnacle Steve, a bit more power too. Or, once I have mine built you can have first refusal on my Mini Beast if you like?
Clive
Old Hand

#32 Re: Transcendent Mini Beast Build

Post by Clive »

Steve is the Mini Beast chassis connected to mains earth? I ask as I completed a Sub Buddy which Bruce specifies as having no chassis connection to mains earth. The chassis is connected to signal ground - Bruce is trying to avoid ground loops - but safety therefore depends on the interconnects being in place (quite likely) and the earthing arrangements of the up and down stream kit.

Also, does anyone have good ideas for how to easily fabricate some form of mesh covering for the toriods on Bruces's kits?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#33 Re: Transcendent Mini Beast Build

Post by Cressy Snr »

Clive wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 am Steve is the Mini Beast chassis connected to mains earth? I ask as I completed a Sub Buddy which Bruce specifies as having no chassis connection to mains earth. The chassis is connected to signal ground - Bruce is trying to avoid ground loops - but safety therefore depends on the interconnects being in place (quite likely) and the earthing arrangements of the up and down stream kit.

Also, does anyone have good ideas for how to easily fabricate some form of mesh covering for the toriods on Bruces's kits?
Yes, the chassis is connected to mains earth via a bolt adjacent to the IEC inlet.
Agreed on the need to cover the toroids. They look a bit naff uncovered.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#34 Re: Transcendent Mini Beast Build

Post by Ray P »

Clive wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 am Also, does anyone have good ideas for how to easily fabricate some form of mesh covering for the toriods on Bruces's kits?
Pot them. It's what I did on my original SE-OTL. The exposed transformer really let down the Transcendent products aesthetically but I also don't think it's very safe.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Nick
Site Admin

#35 Re: Transcendent Mini Beast Build

Post by Nick »

Just be aware that potting a transformer will affect its power handling capacity as it will be less able to loose heat.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ant
Shed dweller

#36 Re: Transcendent Mini Beast Build

Post by Ant »

Those ones on the mini beast get hotter than I would like, id be inclined to make a mesh cage rather than potting them.
Looking at the cct it looks like rozenblit runs this amp around the max ratings for the supplied tx. Nowt wrong with that, I just get nervy when there is more heat than I like. Its took me ages to be comfortable with the heatsinks temp on the f5
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Wolfgang
Old Hand

#37 Re: Transcendent Mini Beast Build

Post by Wolfgang »

The hottest running amps I've ever owned are the SE-OTL with the 6C19 tubes. Transformers get so hot that you almost burn your fingers if you touch them. But in more than 10years of use they never failed or made one blip in the direction of malfunctioning. However, I think transformers should not be operated at their max for best sonic results and rather stay withing their optimal parameters. Everything in TS amps is maxed to the outer limit but really works against all odds and better knowledge looking from an audiophile position.

I put all transformers in a second chassis which brings the hum down, reduces the heat in the main chassis (better for the electrolytes), and looks better.

The best part of buying a TS kit is that it sounds already very good in its original state but gives a lot of opportunities to improve it step by step without breaking the bank. Better quality coupling caps, bypassing the thermistor with a delay circuit (maybe more audible in 120V countries?), better quality HV psu diodes (very audible), reducing the NFB with suitable speakers (reduces the general brightness of the TS amps and makes them sound more relaxed, balanced, and powerful), matching/moving the power tubes in the amp for lowest DC offset in case of PP, using only the best zener diodes and wirewound resistors help to improve things a lot. For the NFB resistor Vishay naked foil sounds best, most neutral, IMO.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#38 Re: Transcendent Mini Beast Build

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:46 pm Just be aware that potting a transformer will affect its power handling capacity as it will be less able to loose heat.
Yes, I purchased my SE-OTL without Bruce's transformers and used a set with a slightly higher rating to compensate for the reduced heat dissipation - they never got very hot. As the potted transformers were slightly larger physically I rearranged the chassis a little, moving the two chokes mounted on the top of the chassis to the inside, which looked better and got some more windings out of harms way (though the stainless steel was a bugger to drill!). The amp worked fine and was reliable, though the wirewound resistors in the B+ lines to the driver stage got very hot and made the chassis uncomfortable to touch. A couple of pictures;

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#39 Re: Transcendent Mini Beast Build

Post by Cressy Snr »

Ali Tait wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:09 am Save up for the Pinnacle Steve, a bit more power too. Or, once I have mine built you can have first refusal on my Mini Beast if you like?
Only just seen this Ali. Buying your MB would probably be a good move.
I had another listen to the MB I've built for Nigel; just to check that it still works, I mean you have to, don't you? :wink:
It's a match made in heaven with my Fanes; absolutely superb sounding as a combination.

It won't be long before the MB is off to its new owner and I'm left bereft and broken once more. :cry:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#40 Re: Transcendent Mini Beast Build

Post by Ali Tait »

Still waiting for the Pinnacle to turn up, you’ll have first refusal on the MB Steve.