Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

What people are working on at the moment
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by IslandPink »

Phew !

Power supply thoughts :
Been looking for mains transformers, I had it in my head ( and on PSUD ) that a simple 240V isolation transformer around 60-70VA would be enough, with a full bridge this should give around 300V after smoothing. I went looking and found nothing of this spec so far. All the 240V secondary transformers I've found are 1kVA and above. Please advise, anyone !
Space-wise I'm thinking there probably isn't enough space for damper-diode rectifiers and a 2xOD3 shunt, but enough for one or the other - ie. a solid-state bridge with some smoothing and a CCS and a shunt, or a bridge using 2x 6AX4 or whatever but no shunt on the end - What do you think, Nick ? - which would you choose ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#17 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by Nick »

For the transformer I would look through the Hammond catalog.

I would use consider Cree Silicon Carbide Schottky Diodes for the bridge and the CCS/Shunt
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#18 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by simon »

Have you tried SiC diodes Nick? I intend to try them when I eventually rebuild GM70, but I'm interested in what you found if you have.
Nick
Site Admin

#19 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by Nick »

Yep, I used them in the last two 300b's I built (Garry on AOS has one). Cant say if they were better, but certainly not worst than UF4007's
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks, the plan is coming into focus. I will check out Hammond then, and get Gerry H at Crowthorne to find me some nicer OD3's, all the ones I have are taped-up between the base and bulb. Will ask about 7N7 or 14N7 too, I like loctals and have a scheme for soft-mounting them, as on the current 4P1L drivers.
Can you think if any repercussions of the 55H chokes 'unloading' at low frequencies ? The driver stage on this will most likely see the full FR, as the high-pass will be done in the coupling cap to the 45's .
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by IslandPink »

This looks interesting. 50VA should be enough
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf2/1182E240.pdf
So is 271.5 the typical unloaded voltage out ?
I need to sim in PSUD to make sure I can get something like 330V to feed the CCS before the 300V shunt.
I need to allow for 245V mains here too.
I think Mike explained how to properly set up the mains in PSUD a while back, I'm a bit rusty but will check back on the shunt-reg power supply thread.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#22 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by Ali Tait »

How about an OTL?

Reason I mention it is Ray’s OTL at the last Owston is the best treble I’ve ever heard I think.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by IslandPink »

I know , I've trying to avoid thinking about that - but you are correct.
It does seem they need quite a lot of valves and running power just to get a couple of watts out - which I'm trying to avoid - plus they often need feedback, which tends to decrease soundstage width. Maybe this wouldn't necessarily be the case to just drive eg. a ribbon. However I think in the future I'll look into it once the speaker questions are resolved.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#24 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by izzy wizzy »

I often wonder whether an OTL is a "technical detour" to solve a perceived problem that doesn't exist in real life as opposed to the test bench. Much like cap coupling vs transformer coupling. I guess it depends what aural matrix you are trying to create. From what you have, wouldn't a simple SET be the go?

I don't think the circlotron OTLs have feedback but that's also a lot of power supply.

cheers,

Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#25 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by IslandPink »

I would say that the best ones I've heard ( eg. Ray's from last time I went to Owston ) are very good indeed and it's not one you have to think about too hard to judge vs. any other amp - the texture of violins etc in the HF is really realistic.
However I do have a special set of OPT's from Bud that use smaller cores and litz-wire secondaries , and it would be fun to build and see how these compare to an OTL - I haven't used them in anger yet.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#26 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by IslandPink »

ps. Would anyone like to hazard a guess about whether I can find my (3) 45's anywhere at the moment ?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#27 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by simon »

Ha! I know that feeling - I'm wondering where my 5751s are.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#28 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by IslandPink »

Exactly. I know I had them for the 3-stage 300B amp, and I wouldn't have sold them.

Transformer - I'm remembering the method in PSUD now. In the data sheet the off-load voltage is given ( 271.5 ) for 234V across the series'd primaries. I need to adjust this for my mains ( ~245 ) and then put this larger number in the V rms box for the PSUD model. Then the DCR for the 'red-blu' secondary at 64R is put in the other box. Then as long as I calculate approx. the right circuit load ( R or I ) after the PS, everything should come down to the correct voltages.
On that basis I can easily get about 330V out from bridge + 6uF + 9H + 440uF. Might be good to get a slightly higher value choke and get ripple down a bit , though I'm not sure how much effect 30mV at 100H will have above 1kHz.
Anybody got anything over 10H at 100mA or a bit more ?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#29 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by IslandPink »

Nick wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:54 am I would use consider Cree Silicon Carbide Schottky Diodes for the bridge and the CCS/Shunt
So is this the sort of thing I need ?
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rectifie ... s/7027440/
Nick
Site Admin

#30 Re: Tweeter Amp for OB or Horns

Post by Nick »

Yep.