WAD Phono2 power supply.

What people are working on at the moment
shane
Social outcast

#61 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by shane »

Ta Dave! Yes that's possible. I'm going to stick a scope on it tomorrow which should show if it's ripple on the HT or heaters.

Voltages are as follows:

HT 259v
60ohm r 1.91v
2n3906 c-e 2.52v
MJE350 c-e 0.71v

Does that sound right?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#62 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by Nick »

Either the current source is broken, or you need more voltage across it. I would aim for at least 20-30v across the current source, so the voltage in needs to be 280 at least if the VR tubes are regulating at 259, the voltage across the 2n seems oj, but I would expect the mje to be doing the heavy lifting.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

#63 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by shane »

Ok, that gives me something to work on tomorrow. I suspect the supply voltage is low. Bit more measuring to do...
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
shane
Social outcast

#64 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by shane »

Took some measurements just now. So I'm getting 230v out of the second transformer which gives me 286.2v out of the diode bridge. I then lose 3.6v across the 100r (282.6v) and 18.9 across the choke (263.8). Finally, I'm losing the last 4.47v across the current supply, giving HT of 259v.

Is the loss across the choke excessive? It's 7uH, with a DCR of 510 ohms.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#65 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by pre65 »

Using Ohms law the current draw is

A) Choke 510r 37ma

B) resistor 100r 36ma

So near enough.

I might have some other chokes, I'll check the DCR on them.
Last edited by pre65 on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#66 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by shane »

Yup. Got that. What I'm getting at is do I need a choke with a lower DCR in order to increase the voltage into the current supply, or is it not that simple?
Nick
Site Admin

#67 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by Nick »

If you need a tad more voltage then play with the resistor (100r) value.
But given that you are only dropping 3.6v across that, its not going to help much is it.

230v Ac should give you more like 320v. I would either find a choke with lower DCR or mix and match VR tubes to aim at a lower HT. Say a 0A2 and 0C2
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#68 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by pre65 »

shane wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:41 pm Yup. Got that. What I'm getting at is do I need a choke with a lower DCR in order to increase the voltage into the current supply, or is it not that simple?
Just amended my last post.

That was my thought, but you can't gain a lot of volts. If you halved the choke resistance you would gain about 9.5v.

How many extra volts do you need ?

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

#69 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by shane »

According to Nick the current supply needs about 20v across it. Given that the gas tubes are regulations at 259, then I need about 280v out of the choke. Just looked at the choke again, it looks like it's 15mH, rather than the 7mh I thought it was.
shane
Social outcast

#70 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by shane »

Nick
Site Admin

#71 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by Nick »

No. You need a choke for the purpose of DC soothing.

Try without the choke in circuit and see how that goes.
shane
Social outcast

#72 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by shane »

That's what I like. Simple solutions.😀
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#73 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by pre65 »

shane wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:11 pm According to Nick the current supply needs about 20v across it. Given that the gas tubes are regulations at 259, then I need about 280v out of the choke. Just looked at the choke again, it looks like it's 15mH, rather than the 7mh I thought it was.
I thought the choke was 15H, not 15mH ?

Those are common mode chokes you link to Shane, not what you need.

I've measured some other chokes I had but the DCR is no less than the one you have.

Would putting a small capacitor (1uf motor run) before the 100r resistor give you enough of an increase ?

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

#74 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by shane »

Hmmm. Choke out of circuit. Hums like a mad bugger.

Not going to be able to do any more investigations for a week now due to work schedules, but I'll look for a better choke in the mean time.
Nick
Site Admin

#75 Re: WAD Phono2 power supply.

Post by Nick »

What were the voltages like?