A rack for things.....and stuff

What people are working on at the moment
cressy
Shed dweller

#1 A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by cressy »

Not sure this classes as a project, but ive started building a rack so that I have some more space for the system and its accoutrements.

I want to have space for another turntable, for both testing purposes for builds and for siting the jvc, and/or the jbe when i get it rebuilt.

I have a relatively large room, but pretty limited space for anything else other than what I have connected now, a 150 x 50 top on the built in cupboard in the left hand alcove. There is a small shelf above for the small bits, the passive, Mac mini and dac.

So having a think about it I can just about get away with a small rack in the corner.

Heres the bits so far

On the left is the base, 2 layers of 18mm ply. Some of the lps will be stored in the bottom.

the 4 legs are salvaged 3x2 from a conservatory build that emmas dad got for me with a chamfer cut on the outside edges after I ran them through the planer/ thicknesser to get rid of a twist in one of them.

Top on the right is 2 layers of 18 mm ply and an 15 mdf core to provide a nice dead platform for a deck to stand on.

I will have 2 shelves in it above the records that will be sat on half inch dowel pins for the tascam cd player to sit on and maybe some of the other shite I seem to have acquired.

I have yet to square up the top and base with the big router, but it will get done when it gets done as im doing it between jobs when the relevant tools are out.

Incidentally, the ply and mdf was available as I buggered up my order when i ordered the materials for dave and merediths 72 and ended up with twice what i wanted!

At least I found a use for it.

So dont worry d and m, there are things happening with it

Cheers ant
Last edited by cressy on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cressy
Shed dweller

#2 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by cressy »

Here it is plonked together

Its legs will be glued and screwed through the top and base, i have some 6" screws for this, and I think a rear brace where the shelf above the lps will be would be prudent.

I'll have to take about 3" off the height though now, as ive just discovered that it wont clear the window sill that will be to the left of it when it is in situ :roll: didnt take into account the extra 102mm that the top and base add.......
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by Mike H »

Ah!! I couldn't visualise it from the pieces. :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

#4 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by cressy »

Assembled bar the shelves as I need some more ply for them, they will sit on the top of the spars.
And I have inadvertently made it big enough for this beastly lenco conversion to sit on

Records in the bottom and 2 shelves for bits and pieces should be enough. It will go where the lps and monitor is now
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#5 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by Ali Tait »

Is that my Lenco Ant? :P
cressy
Shed dweller

#6 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by cressy »

T'is, its looks bigger when there is something else in the photo to give it scale. Still waiting for that carbon fibre for the chassis plate though.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by Mike H »

Looking good.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#8 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by Ali Tait »

cressy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:58 pm T'is, its looks bigger when there is something else in the photo to give it scale. Still waiting for that carbon fibre for the chassis plate though.
Cool, no rush.
cressy
Shed dweller

#9 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by cressy »

Drives me up the wall waiting for stuff though.....
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by pre65 »

cressy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:06 pm Drives me up the wall waiting for stuff though.....
Same here. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#11 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by Ray P »

That's a nice looking and cost effective stand Ant, good work.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
cressy
Shed dweller

#12 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by cressy »

Cost on it thus far has been made up of about 20 quids worth of ply, the mdf I already had, 6 quid for the 2x1 spars, The 4x2 is reclaimed so that cost nothing, a bit of glue and a 4 quid box of screws.

abit of time spent planing up the 4x2 to get rid of the twist in it and an hour with the router to square up the top and base. So its got around 2 hours work in it, including cutting the blanks for the laminated top and base and screwing it together

Only other expense is 7 quid for 4 45mm brass m8 spikes and 2 quid for some threaded inserts for them.

No need really for them but I prefer to spike it to make sure its as stable as possible due to kids and animals crashing about the place, and that the equipment that will be put on it might not be mine ( eg the salvation turntable a frind has lent me) and might be expensive.

So it runs to about 40 quid.

One other reason I decided to make it is that i was looking for racks on ebay and practically all of them were metal and glass, or uber expensive for something in solid wood. And personally i think standing a turntable on the top of a glass shelf isnt a good idea. Especially if the deck has spikes which mine does, alis does, and the salvation has, glass isnt known for its grippy properties....

Ive never been a fan of the usual way a Tt shelf is done on racks either, with the spikes facing upwards and the shelf sitting on them, plus its usually a bit of plastiveneer chipboard for the shelf.

Thought id try a great big hefty shelf instead
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by Mike H »

Watching.

cressy
Shed dweller

#14 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by cressy »

Got the shelves in, and spikes have arrived. All im waiting for is the threaded inserts for them and its done

Shoved some records in the bottom after adding a stop on the base that the lps will butt up to so they all stay in line and dont fall out of the back.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: A rack for things.....and stuff

Post by IslandPink »

Good effort & nice rotation of stuff on the radiator !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"