DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

What people are working on at the moment
Nick
Site Admin

#1081 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by Nick »

The other thing you could try is stacking 4 or 5 of these

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mlccs-mu ... s/1795969/
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1082 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by IslandPink »

I couldn't hear any difference myself between 330n and 470n , if it's any help.
I should order some of the ones that are supposed to come 3/2020, at least I have enough to use for current projects.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#1083 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1084 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by IslandPink »

480 milligrams of loveliness !
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#1085 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by izzy wizzy »

Thanks Nick and Mark. Ordered from Mouser. I've gone for the 0.33u. I did a quick sim and the difference is so tiny. If there is something that I've missed, I would think the time constant could be restored by upping the 470k reistors to 680k. It seems only to alter the performance below 10Hz. Well that's my crude understanding of the situation and in the end, I probably won't know the difference .... I hope.

Cheers,
Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1086 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by IslandPink »

I ordered 10 from Mouser.
It's mad that such a small thing is so important, but honestly, getting the right caps there is the difference between 'very good' and 'magic' . I keep thinking back to what Jono Noble said years ago, which I tried to argue against : .. "everything matters, enormously". He was so right.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#1087 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by RhythMick »

Quite a big discount for over 50. Im getting 16 boards, so 32 for me.

Andrew you're sorting mine right?
Andrew
Eternally single

#1088 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by Andrew »

Hopefully, but I am not immune from parts shortages either.
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#1089 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by RhythMick »

Andrew wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:55 am Hopefully, but I am not immune from parts shortages either.
No of course, just saying that Mouser component has quite a big discount for >50.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#1090 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by izzy wizzy »

Any news on the higher current versions? If those PCBs aren't available for a 3A application and I was to use an SMPS before the reg and off board the reg and pass transistor, could the small board be used? Or alter the heatsink connection to enable a bigger sink to be used?

Cheers,
Stephen
Andrew
Eternally single

#1091 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by Andrew »

I can get some boards done. I was hoping there might be a few takers to help cover costs, you need to order a decent amount to make it worthwhile.

SMPS would work fine on the smaller PCB, but you might get HF artifacts breaking thru. Nevertheless, as long as the heatsink can cope, which it should do, you'll be fine. I'll need to check on the voltage drop across the pass transistor, I think its in the region of 1.7v.
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1092 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by Ray P »

Andrew wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:40 am I can get some boards done. I was hoping there might be a few takers to help cover costs, you need to order a decent amount to make it worthwhile.
5 US dollars for ten boards (as long as you don't want anything special like 2oz copper but even that isn't that much more) plus shipping. Probably about 20$ all in but about 3weeks for delivery.

https://jlcpcb.com/

They're good quality professional boards. I've used them several times and never been disappointed.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#1093 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by izzy wizzy »

Andrew wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:40 am I can get some boards done. I was hoping there might be a few takers to help cover costs, you need to order a decent amount to make it worthwhile.

SMPS would work fine on the smaller PCB, but you might get HF artifacts breaking thru. Nevertheless, as long as the heatsink can cope, which it should do, you'll be fine. I'll need to check on the voltage drop across the pass transistor, I think its in the region of 1.7v.
Thanks Andrew. If the small boards will do with some heatsinking modifications, then I can cope with that. I'm after 4 please.

The SMPS ripple will have some HF artifacts no doubt. I have the SMPS powering the GM70 direct at present and inserted some CM chokes between to great effect last night so some treatment like that will happen before the VCCS.

Cheers,
Stephen
RhythMick
Old Hand

#1094 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by RhythMick »

I just finished 6 of the boards. All test well except 1, which produces the right voltages but behaves differently.

By which I mean it goes directly to the set voltage without the slow start, and adjusting the trimmer pot gives an immediate reaction where the others move more slowly.

I can check solder joints but can't see anything obvious. I don't know the circuit, but I'm wondering if there's a hysteresis resistor somewhere? Just a guess, probably wrong.

Any pointers where to look? If not I'll work through.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#1095 Re: DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

Post by izzy wizzy »

Check the value of the 47k resistor feeding the 100u capacitor. If it was low or has been shorted via a solder blob, the cap will charge up stright away rather than following slowly.