SE-OTL

What people are working on at the moment
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Nick, hopefully, when I get it built I'll get a feel for the relative arguments.....

The topography isn't like your diagram.

Ray
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've got Bruce R's book somewhere. Maybe it only has the big brother version; I must have a look for it.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

OK, from memory, the output stage consists of four paralleld triodes. The cap coupled signal from the driver stage is fed to each grid, along with a -12V voltage. HT is applied to the Anodes and the cathode outputs are commoned (summed) to give the amplifier output. Obviously there are some resisitors in the grid feeds and on the cathode outputs but thats about all the output stage consists of.

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

andrew Ivimey wrote:I've got Bruce R's book somewhere. Maybe it only has the big brother version; I must have a look for it.
I've got a couple of Bruce's books (Audio Reality and the old intro to tube amps) and the SE-OTL doesn't feature in either of them.

Ray
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ray P wrote:OK, from memory, the output stage consists of four paralleld triodes. The cap coupled signal from the driver stage is fed to each grid, along with a -12V voltage. HT is applied to the Anodes and the cathode outputs are commoned (summed) to give the amplifier output. Obviously there are some resisitors in the grid feeds and on the cathode outputs but thats about all the output stage consists of.

Ray
Ok, whats in the cathodes load, is it a resistor or another valve, don't think we are in danger of giving any secrets away, without the drive stage and values its just theory.

If its just a resistor load, then it sounds like a simple cathode follower, I wouldn't have thought that would have a low enough output resistance.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Nick, each cathode is connected via a resistor to the 'output bus'.

Ray

Edit: I thought that rather than work from memory it would be better to go upstairs and get the manual and I missed a key component. The 'output bus' has a choke between it and ground. Sorry, but obvously senility is beginning to take hold!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ok, makes sense, so its a choke loaded cathode follower. I guess there is a bunch of feedback wrapped around it to get the 1R output impedance that the web site mentions, 4 6S19pi CF's works out as 33R from what I can find on the valve.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

"Gain is set at 9 dB. This is perfect for high efficiency speakers when driven from an active preamp or high level source."

"The driver stage uses the magnificent 6H30pi tube."

Must be feedback as it only has 9db gain overall. Mu of 6N30 is ~15 which is ~23db and there's two 6N30P on the pic, so 4 triodes, could be quite a simple driver consisting of a single triode for voltage and a CF to drive the 4 6C19P grids or something more complex, perhaps?

-- Andrew
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I must admit, it would sort of be tempting to try this type of topology out, its just not something I have heard, but I have way too many other things on the go. Bruce's T16 OTL was quite good at EF 2 , or was it 3?

I hope you can get to a meet Ray I'd look forward to hearing these on the right speakers.

-- Andrew
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

The Patent
Attachments
Trans otl Patent 2.jpg
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

I'd love to have another go at the Transcendent T8.

After all this time I managed to work out what I had done wrong.
Let's just say, it was the bias network turning one half of the output stage full on, whilst the other half was in cutoff.

Now I know why all four valves on the left side of the chassis went into runaway, whilst the other side was unharmed. You live and learn.

Steve
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Ah, Will, but isn't that his Push Pull circuit :?:

-- Andrew
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote:Ok, makes sense, so its a choke loaded cathode follower.
S - P - L - A - S - H - !

It's as I suspected Watson.

Well not the choke bit anyway ... :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

If anyone is interested, Bruce Rozenblit's book 'Audio Reality', available as a chargeable pdf download from the Transcendent website, includes, amongst other things, information and schematics for the following projects.

The Transcendent OTL
Grouded Grid Preamp
Super Compact 150 Watt Amplifier
Single-Ended with Slam
Grounded Grid Cascode Phono Preamp

He also sells schematics and supporting information for a Single-Ended, Class A, Cathode Follower Amp on his website.

I just mention them given the interest in this thread and have no connection or intention to advocate any of these designs.

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Yes, the amp has feedback.

Given the interest I will try to make the Oweston meeting and bring it along.

Ray