SE-OTL

What people are working on at the moment
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Do not some valves use the anode as the getter?
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I wonder if they are self gettering then?
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, maybe that's the case, 6s22s doesn't have a getter flash visible either.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Ray P wrote:Have you seen the schematic?
Er, no. Image

Yes the output is capacitor coupled, Bruce's argument being that it is 'a thousand times less damaging than output transformers'.
Ummm ~ I would have thought better than DC coupled

Don't get DC with transformers either so don't quite understand that

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

I spy a getter its above the anode under the pip unless its a flying-saucer :cyclops:

Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes,saw that too.Wonder if it's the top of the anode that's the getter.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Mike H wrote:
Ray P wrote:Have you seen the schematic?
Er, no. Image

Yes the output is capacitor coupled, Bruce's argument being that it is 'a thousand times less damaging than output transformers'.
Ummm ~ I would have thought better than DC coupled

Don't get DC with transformers either so don't quite understand that

Mike, I'll have to think of a way to share the principles of the schematic; I'm not sure it is appropriate to just post it as it is Bruce's IPR and the source of part of his livelihood.

With respect to the output capacitor, there has been some discussion on this on the TS discussion board. One of the key tenets of OTL designs is to avoid the compromises to the signal (music) created by any output transformer, however, with the SE-OTL the nature of the design requires a cap to protect your speakers but that this compromses the signal less than a transformer, best of all would be direct coupled. I think there is a certain irony that in the discussions people jump to negative conclusions about having an output capacitor but don't seem to have any concerns about having one between the stages of their amplifiers. As I say, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Oweston is really difficult for me given my location but if I could make it along I would be happy to bring the SE-OTL along, though whether 1.5watts is realistic in that environment I'm unsure.

Ray
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

It would be fine on, say, Steve's very sensitive OB's.We've had amps of less output than that rattling the windows! Great if you could make it,I'd be interested in hearing the amp.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Will wrote:I spy a getter its above the anode under the pip unless its a flying-saucer :cyclops:

OK, I can buy that, but why no flash :?:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Maybe by staying on the plate, the heat from the anode is conducted to it activating it?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

@ Ray I totally understand about the schematic, no you shouldn't post it if the guy wants it kept secret (That's the problem with kits! The world and his dog are off to brew their own rather than get the kit if they get a hint of how it's wired up :D )

From the desciption it sounds like 4 x valves in parallel, as cathode followers? then "something else" underneath to complete the circuit, a current source?

The second thing is just about the phrase used, "thousand times less damaging to your speakers than a transformer", which seems such a bizarre thing to say.

I'm just looking at it purely from the 'electrical safety of speakers' point of view, not what it sounds like

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

Post by Ray P »

Mike, maybe if I could make Oweston I could bring the manual with me so you can check out the schematic. I'm visiting the hospital in around 10days and hope to get the OK to resume driving soon so if physio goes well I might manage the long journey.

I was paraphrasing Bruce Rozenblit's 'thousand times' statement from memory so may have got it a little wrong but the context was purely about sound quality, apologies if I didn't provide that context.

Ray
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

In which case, that would make more sense Image

Okey-dokey then. Image

Sure nuff if you can make it to Owston I'd be interested to have a look.

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Without truing to be too agumental:
Bruce's argument being that it is 'a thousand times less damaging than output transformers
He does have a bit of a habit of making sets of proclamations about what is good or not, and they always seem to match exactly what he is selling though.

I guess you have to weigh up the damage done by the transformer against the result of asking a valve to work into a load that is entirely against its design. And then you have to question the effect of all the additional work that needs to be done to make a valve drive a 8 ohm load.

I think both sides have merit. It could all be a lot simpler if someone would make a 200 ohm loudspeaker though :-)

Hope you get a chance to bring it Ray, I have heard a couple of the BR amps, and they both were very good.

Is this amp using this sort of shape output stage?
Attachments
sepp.GIF
sepp.GIF (8.67 KiB) Viewed 5024 times
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »