Resistors

What people are working on at the moment
steve s
Shed dweller

Re: Resistors

Post by steve s » Wed May 20, 2020 10:49 pm

I'll second that.. Very interesting..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number

Cressy Snr
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Cressy Snr » Wed May 20, 2020 10:57 pm

I’ll third it.
When the whole country’s waving paper flags and eating finger sandwiches, you need someone to moon their arse. - Rachel Joyce (2017) - “The Music Shop” - Penguin.

izzy wizzy
Old Hand

Post by izzy wizzy » Fri May 22, 2020 7:32 pm

Today's resistor switcheroo was in the power amp; the tail resistor on the input stage. In the model there is virtually no signal on this part as the model deals in perfect parts. In reality, the difference between the two halves of a diff amp appears here so again, pretty small signal. Wasn't expecting much.

Was able to switch between the two with amps on. There wasn't much in it to begin with in fact I got easily confused as to which resistor was in until going to large classical pieces. Then the incumbent was a bit confused compared to the Kiwame which was a 5W 300R compared to at that time, I didn't know what. There was not the usual differences I heard this time comparing metal films to the carbons; highlighted top end blah blah. But I preferred the purity and better tone of the Kiwame. Once I could discern the difference, I could hear it in other things but I wouldn't bet my house or even a beer on it.

Looking up in my past orders, it turns out it is a Multicomp Pro 3W wirewound 50p vs £1.50 Kiwame. I suppose it could be tempting to pop a Mills in there one day however only if I had nothing else to do. It took me 9 months to get the WW in there over the 4 resistors in parallel that were there from Owsters last. That was more of an improvement than this.

I'm tempted to play with resistors in the GM70 bias as they are directly in the signal path. After that there are only 3 more resistors in the whole system and two of them are input resistors to the line and power amps so could be worth it, The other is in the tail of the line diff amp.