Question about common mode choke

We all start somewhere
RhythMick
Old Hand

#1 Question about common mode choke

Post by RhythMick »

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/leaded-i ... s/4890425/

Am I right in thinking that a common mode choke such as this can be wired in two ways?

The normal way (according to the datasheet) is "both dots on the left". Used for noise rejection, and to prevent noise from the load being passed back into the PSU. Happy to be corrected. I believe in such mode the choke provides almost no inductance and therefore almost useless for power smoothing in a filament supply.

My question is, can such a choke be wired "top dot left, bottom dot right" so that it DOES provide inductance and in conjunction with a cap would provide some smoothing and ripple reduction?
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Question about common mode choke

Post by Nick »

In the normal way the current in the two coils cancel creating zero flux at steady state. Imbalances in the two lines are seen by the inductance and so with the addition of a C will filter noise. Wiring them out of phase will prevent the currents canceling, will create a DC flux at steady state and cause what inductance there is to collapse because the ferrite core will saturate. Chokes for ripple reduction need to be able to handle standing DC flux, so will have an air gap.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#3 Re: Question about common mode choke

Post by RhythMick »

Ok thanks. The linked item specifies 20mH at max 3A. For filtering calculations should I use the 20mH?
RhythMick
Old Hand

#4 Re: Question about common mode choke

Post by RhythMick »

Re-read what you posted. So in common mode, the inductance will (in conjunction with C) cancel noise but won't provide ripple reduction.

Ok thanks.
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: Question about common mode choke

Post by Nick »

Yes.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.