Stereo to mono

We all start somewhere
rowuk
Old Hand

Re: Stereo to mono

Post by rowuk » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:25 pm

I do not know about stereo to mono, but there are quite a few magnificent mono recordings out there. I am listening to Strauss "Death and Transfiguration" played by the Concertgebouw Orchestra under Mengelberg during the second world war. It sounds like they know that the Nazis are coming - they are playing with such abandon. Mono can even sound multi dimensional.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 pm

It was thought by many in the late 50s that stereo was inferior quality to a proper mono, quality system
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number

karatestu
User

Post by karatestu » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:52 am

I don't have much experience of mono recordings so can't comment on that. The only recordings I have are some old jazz stuff including blue note. It sounds good through two speakers.

Some stereo recordings sounded better than others when summed to mono. Led zep 2 was one that sounded awful.

I had a look at the air sound that was linked to above. Looks like some kind of new devilry to me but then I am just an old fashioned farmer.
:bigsmurf: